Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Geodesic domes #26598 06/10/11 03:40 AM
Chris Landress Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there any information out there on timber framed geodesic domes? In particular joinery.

I have access to 4x6 southern yellow pine (4 sides machined) at $1.75 a linear foot and a local machine shop with a 4 axis cnc machine willing to do cuts at $1.15 per angle (each timber needs 8 angles for a 2V dome) on pieces up to 8ft. I can't really do anything useful with such small pieces other than a dome. The longest piece needed for a 24' dome is just shy of 7 ft.

I've purchased the TF Joinery and Design Workbook which is the best subject matter reference around but weight distribution and loads are completely different in dome structures.

You can see examples here.

Questions:

Can a "biscuit on steriods" be used when joining ends together?

How would I calculate the size of the timbers needed to be structurally sound?

Is there an effective way of calculating loads?

Thank You,
Christopher Landress
clandress@gmail.com
chris@thedigitaldatapimp.com
Re: Geodesic domes #26613 06/10/11 10:49 PM
mo Offline
Hi Chris, Where are all the forces resolved in a dome? Is this a faceted dome?

If i may, why are you interested in a dome instead of a gable with a loft?

Re: Geodesic domes #26619 06/11/11 06:15 AM
OP Offline
By design, geodesic domes evenly spread forces across the entire structure. No particular point takes more stress than the other. This effect is amplified by tessellating the dome even further into other frequencies. If you're interested in the math have a look at this page.

I am actually interested in timbers as opposed to dimensional lumber because they can be easily CAD/CNC machined to achieve the faceted surface and remove the need for cross members (as seen here).

Plus I have access to very inexpensive stock, all of which is 8' +- 1"... which is perfect because the CNC lathe only supports 8' stock. This is really the best way to maximize my surface area with the limited high quality/inexpensive stock I have available. I'm not opposed to a gable with a loft per say, in fact it was my intention when I purchased the books and spent 6 months studying it. But it looks like this is my best option now and I was hoping someone had some experience with the joinery. I have yet to see a dome timber framed, only stick framed with dimensional lumber. Ive spent quite a bit of time calculating the angles, CADing the joints, and testing its fit and I would hate to have to use bolts and angle brackets to join such a great looking structure.

Thank You,
Christopher Landress
clandress@gmail.com
Re: Geodesic domes #26620 06/11/11 06:15 AM
mo Offline
ok, I dont see enough cross section for "joinery". steel straps around the joints just under the roof sheathing is all I see.

skewed joints require more than your cross section. I could be wrong though.

Nevertheless sounds like a cool build.

Last edited by mo; 06/11/11 06:20 AM.
Re: Geodesic domes #26621 06/11/11 06:24 AM
mo Offline
Whats the function?

Re: Geodesic domes #26622 06/11/11 06:38 AM
OP Offline
It's a small retirement home for the future. Something I plan on building over the course of the next 5 years while I'm still young, patient, and motivated enough to do the work myself as spare money and time permits smile I bought an acre of land in middle GA for practically nothing last year and its just sitting there. Plus, the building codes in the county are very lax. Also, as a project to test some alternative energy sources like geothermal air conditioning, solar evacuated tubes, and small scale solar arrays.

It's basically a simple 24' diameter 1 bedroom cabin.

Thank You,
Christopher Landress
clandress@gmail.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users