Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Blood Paint [Re: D Wagstaff] #29408 07/10/12 10:17 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Don, they all show up now. Must have been a server error at that time when I tried to view them earlier

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Blood Paint [Re: D L Bahler] #29409 07/10/12 10:22 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
everything working up here on the Forums?

Re: Blood Paint [Re: Joel McCarty] #29410 07/10/12 10:24 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes it seems to be. I think it was an error on the part of the server where the photos are located, as the errors I got when trying to open them had nothing to do with UBB threads or any such. But all is well now

On back to the topic though, Don would you share your process and technique?

Re: Blood Paint [Re: D L Bahler] #29412 07/11/12 02:24 PM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

Well I'll just explain how I mixed it up and put in on then. The surprising thing is the entire hoax of the wood surface coatings industry which in the most cases sells those who patronize an inferior product along with creating untold, and unpaid for, environmental damage and costs. On the face of it I can put the clean-up and what's left over from this paint on my garden.
We begin so...

"Rinderblut - am Montag,Serum - am Donnerstag abgeschöpft."
1l of this blood
30dl serum
1/4kg slaked lime
1/2kg natural iron oxide pigment
30ml lime water
and about 1 tbs ox gall extract

It was my first time with this mixture so I didn't know what to expect but I have used what is called kookverf here which is a boiled rye flour based paint and it came out looking similar, that is, thick and, well, fluffy. If this is troublesome to you maybe drop a couple tablets of Alka Seltzer® in there.

Once the binder is mixed up it can be given a color and that's what I am doing in the video up there . It's handy to know before hand how much pigment goes in instead of trying to slowly bring it to the right color. That's one of the most time consuming things about paint making.

Like I said, it is thick in consistency so putting it on means rubbing it in, but it does give an excellent cover in one coating. It did darken a bit in the first weeks afterwords.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Last edited by D Wagstaff; 07/11/12 02:32 PM.
Re: Blood Paint [Re: D Wagstaff] #29413 07/11/12 05:35 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
For those who don't understand Don's German, it would say,

"Cow's blood -on Monday, Serum -on Thursday skimmed off."

In other words, cows blood collected on monday and let to sit till thursday at which time the clot is skimmed off leaving behind the 'serum' which is basically plasma

Re: Blood Paint [Re: D L Bahler] #29415 07/11/12 07:19 PM
D Wagstaff Offline
Indeed, it's what the old Germans would advise.

Re: Blood Paint [Re: D Wagstaff] #29417 07/12/12 03:10 AM
R
Rolland Elliott Offline
R
"The surprising thing is the entire hoax of the wood surface coatings industry which in the most cases sells those who patronize an inferior product along with creating untold, and unpaid for, environmental damage and costs."

Why is paint a hoax? I've painted a LOT of things and never had any environmental issues when used correctly.

Re: Blood Paint [Re: Rolland Elliott] #29419 07/12/12 11:41 AM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hi Rolland,

Paint is an aspect, an option, a consideration... a coating. It's not a hoax. The only hoax is the mystery of it perpetrated for commerce, and your right, if and when resorted to one would want to be correct in its use. When we get into the petrochemicals, synthesized pigmentation, dispersants and solvents widely used nowadays not to mention lead and other heavy metals and toxins common in the past and still present in latent forms, we can understand that the environment, soils, air, water, the rooms of our living spaces, are not unaffected.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Re: Blood Paint [Re: D Wagstaff] #29422 07/12/12 03:52 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
If you use oil-based paint,

have a quick look some time at what those solvents do to your brain cells.

If you use water based paint,

have a look at what poisons they put in them to stop spoilage in a concoction that would other wise be a haven for mold and bacteria.

If you make your own paint, spoilage isn't a concern because you make what you need, and as Don points out if you have extra, throw it on your garden.

But natural coatings are all but impossible to sell commercially, because they don't have the shelf life or the ease of use of modern polymer-based paints.

And by the way, vinyl chloride, which is in just about any polymer paint (you know it in the form of poly vinyl chloride, or PVC or just vinyl) is a known and highly potent carcinogen.

I'm a big fan of not using deadly poison to paint my house...

Don brings out the environmental concerns, a valid point depending on where you are, much more valid in more settled areas of the world, or areas where people tend to be careless about how they handle chemicals, like China. My concern is the personal hazard, one we are apt to ignore for some odd reason.

Last edited by D L Bahler; 07/12/12 03:54 PM.

Re: Blood Paint [Re: D L Bahler] #29424 07/12/12 06:00 PM
R
Rolland Elliott Offline
R
I typically get low VOC or No odor paint. I can't stand the chemical smell of paint. It is usually a good week or two before I step into a place that has just been painted. I don't know how some people paint a room and then sleep in the house the next day.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users