Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Education Needed For Timber Framing #140 04/03/02 06:01 PM
M
MarkyB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've recently become very interested in timber framing and would like to take my enthusiasm to the next level. Without any real experience in woodworking and without a college education what type of training or education should I be looking into.

Re: Education Needed For Timber Framing #141 04/04/02 01:22 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
One way to learn is to start reading books on the subject. You can get several from the tfguild online store. Get one or more as you can afford. Read glossary of terms first, so you'll understand what these new terms mean. Then as you are reading them start acquiring some basic tools, list of tools are in most books.
Then once you've got a understanding of what it's all about, try to go to a raising and watch, help if they will let you, and you'll learn a lot more. Good luck with your interest, and ask more questions.
Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Education Needed For Timber Framing #142 04/04/02 08:43 PM
R
Roger Brown Offline
R
I agree with Jim. Books are a great source for learning about the craft and techniques. I would start out with getting as much info as possible through printed materials - even web sites related to timber framing (builders)or building materials(such as SIPS, etc) are great free sources of info. The investment in the dozen or so key timber framing books is money well spent...I guarantee you will use them for reference time and time again. The skills and techniques used in timber framing are the same used in general woodworking. Since you say your woodworking skills are limited, tackle a few small woodworking projects - do some layout, use a chisel, a handsaw, some "easy to work" materials such as pine. Make sure this is fun to you and you feel accomplishment after completing your project rather than it being "something that needs to be finished". Those people that are most successful (be it monetary or self-fulfilled)are those that enjoy what they do. Take the opportunity to go visit some sawmills in your area and see what happens there, find out if anyone has built a TF in your area (people will talk for hours about their structure and the trials,tribulations and successes), start looking at construction sites in progress as you will undoubtedly need and want to develop some other skills (concrete, electrical, plumbing, finishing, etc) - very rarely do I pass up an interesting looking construction site without taking a look-see. The next step once you have a basic understanding of timber framing/construction and some basic woodworking skills is to "go do it". The Guild projects are a great way to get experience to ensure this is something you want to tackle and to gain some good skills and confidence along the way. The Guild projects expose you to some of the best timber framers in the world and the interaction is invaluable. Your first experience in constructing and raising a frame will be one of those "events to remember" for the rest of your life. Best of luck!

Re: Education Needed For Timber Framing #143 04/05/02 01:50 AM
J
John Milburn Offline
J
Marky B, I agree with Jim and Roger,Books! Another great experience is to attend a timber frame workshop. The Guild offers a few 5 day workshops and there are some private. Both are instructed by knowledgeable instructors and are well worth the money. Good luck, John

Re: Education Needed For Timber Framing #144 04/05/02 07:56 PM
M
MarkyB Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions for books? I've read Tedd Benson's Building the Timber Frame House. Any books with maybe a more complete look at the process or more specific information on certain aspects? Is there a more or less currently recognized "bible" of Timber Framing?

Re: Education Needed For Timber Framing #145 04/05/02 11:20 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
MarkyB:
Both of Jack Sobon's books are great. Also, Steve Chappell's book. And there are others but with the one you've read and these three, you'll have a good bit of knowledge about the subject. Good luck and happy reading.
Jim wink

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users