Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? [Re: D L Bahler] #27373 10/13/11 01:52 PM
daiku Offline
These are my clients from last summer (well, their kids). The oldest shot this with his bow last week. They live on the Missouri, and the Corps (after telling them not to get flood insurance, as they were 5' above the 100-year flood plain) released so much water from the dam upstream that they had to build a 6' earthen dike around their entire house. Their brand new timber frame! And unlike flooding from a storm, where the water subsides after a few days, they had to monitor and pump for two months. They are dry now, and dealing with some mold in the crawlspace, but they saved their house.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27374 10/13/11 02:58 PM
D L Bahler Offline
This is the first year hunting with this bow. Last year I hunted with an all wood stick bow, got close enough a few times, but decided to let the deer go to get fatter. I like doe, because they taste better, and their parts are generally more useful. I use as much off of a deer as I can find use for, including the hide, tendons, and a good deal of the bones.

This year, my bow is a Mongolian style composite, made of a wood core with a sinew backing and antler belly, and long 'ears' at the limb ends jutting out forward of the bows curvature when strung. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found the time to get out and hunt. That's OK, since the prime season hasn't started yet anyhow!

The worst thing is, I haven't even hunted this bow yet and I already have plans on how to make my next one, which will be a more advanced and complex composite (now that I learned how they work while building this one) That's OK though, since these bows take at least a year to make. The sinew backing alone takes 6 months to do it right!

I'll try and get some pictures up, if you all would like.

DLB

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27379 10/13/11 09:49 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Pictures would be cool. Do you have any on line links showing more details?

Ever tried artificial sinew? It is like waxed dental floss for trolls. I know it is not the real thing, but it works well for sewing leather and seizing the ends of rope and more.

Bucks only here, unless you have a special permit.

Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27381 10/13/11 10:09 PM
D L Bahler Offline
Our deer are a hazard, and so the DNR encourages us to thin them out. They cause accidents, destroy crops, and so on. As such, we have what is called the bonus doe program. Under this program you can buy additional tags to get as many doe as you want. Each county has a limit on how many doe you can shoot. In my county, you can take 8 doe per season, in the next county north you can take 4.
However, you are only allowed to take one buck per season.

here is a pic of my bow, not finished in this pic -it doesn't have the antler on it.

I have never used artificial sinew. As I understand it, it is just fiberglass. I have used fiberglass strips for a backing before. Sinew is worlds above fiberglass, but very difficult to use. It takes a lot of work to prepare the stuff, and it is hard to get it on right. You can only put it on with hide glue, and the stuff sets up in 1 minute after taking it out of the hot pot. not much time to get things right! But the results can't be beat.
This is the only type of traditional bow I know of that can outlive its maker. A regular wood bow wears out over time, but these ones just rely on wood to serve as the support for the other stuff, so it doesn't matter so much. Sinew and horn/antler will last forever if kept dry.
The big disadvantage of a composite bow is that it looses strength in humid conditions. But when the temperature is below freezing, or close to it, then that doesn't really matter.

Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27389 10/14/11 05:36 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I'd like to get back into hunting, unfortunately the state wants me to retake both hunter safety courses and they're only offered when I'm at work. Since I've been hemorrhaging ~$3500/yr recently that's just not an option.
I've got a linen backed red oak blank that's been hanging around for several years now.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27409 10/17/11 02:44 AM
D L Bahler Offline
ever tried an online course? that's what i did

Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27539 10/31/11 10:58 AM
D
DarkCat Offline
D
Most of the people in my country like golf and the rest loves cricket including me.

Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27565 11/02/11 07:31 AM
S
seagal1 Offline
S
My country is very popular for cricket and I love cricket too. We have a huge number of fans for cricket in our country.

Re: Name the favourite sport of your country? #27568 11/02/11 10:27 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Hey segul, how many people do you think will click on Green Coffee? What are your results for your efforts?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi
5136 Registered Users