Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Timber Framing vs Stick Framing #27867 01/02/12 01:11 AM
JonathanBurnett Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen discussions on this topic in the past but cannot find them now.

I'm interested in a technical discussion of Timberframing vs StickFraming. Not just which is best for a particular circumstance a discussion of terms and nomenclature.

Any Ideas?

Jonathan Burnett
Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: JonathanBurnett] #27878 01/06/12 04:07 AM
brad_bb Offline
You might want to be a little more specific about what you are looking for. Do you want to know the names of all the members of a frame? We can easily go over that here. One good starter resource is Jack Sobon's book "Build a Classic Timber-Framed House". Other good books are Steve Chappell's "A Timber Framer's Workshop". Tedd Benson also has similar books out. Many of these can be found used on Amazon to save a few bucks.

Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: brad_bb] #27880 01/06/12 05:55 AM
OP Offline
Sorry, my request may not have been specific enough.

I have read a concise description of the difference between timber framing and stick framing. I believe the description contrasted the nature of the type of connections in each type. It contrasted stick framing as rough framing vs timber framing as a more finished frame.

I need to find a concise phrasing of these differences.

Thanks

Jonathan Burnett
Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: JonathanBurnett] #27881 01/06/12 12:36 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Can you link the description you mention? From what part of the world was this source from? I have seen articles from Europe where the two terms are used interchangeably, which could be the source of confusion. There is a clear distinction between the two framing types, at least here in the US.

In terms of "modern" timber framing that could be considered more finished than a bare frame of 2x6's, both still need enclosing. Depending on what method of layout, the timber used, hewn, sawn, s4s, sanded, oiled, or left naked with handling marks still in place, round timber, organic shapes, etc would also figure into how the frame could be classified.

Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: TIMBEAL] #27885 01/06/12 09:29 PM
brad_bb Offline
Well, stick framing is always covered or hidden behind drywall or lath and plaster or something. In Timberframing, the members are usually exposed on the interior of the structure. There are exceptions, such as some early housed that finished interior walls with lath and plaster or similar.
Timberframing uses wood joinery without any metal fasterners. The timbers used in timber framing could be left rough sawn, hewn, or planed or sanded smooth, depending on what the final desired finsh was. Stick framing uses metal fasters, traditionally nails, but also screws these days as well. The first saw mills left 2X lumber rough sawn and therefore the dimensions were actual, whereas today, stick lumber is planed or has a fine finish to modern 2X dimensions and not actual dimensions.
Timberframing layout and assembly is quite precise because the frame will be visible, you want tight joints without gaps after assembly. Perhaps this is what is meant by "finished"? With stick framing, well you don't have to be nearly as precise in your layout or assembly.
I still don't know if any of this gets at what you are trying to find out.

Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: brad_bb] #27899 01/09/12 10:38 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for the input on this topic. Sorry, I do not have a link to the description that I am looking for. The Timber Framers Business Council’s FAQ page does an excellent good job with the question:

What is the difference between Log Homes, Timber Framing, and Post and Beam?

Log Homes and Buildings are built of logs stacked horizontally, creating the walls.

Post and Beam structures are any buildings that have upright posts supporting horizontal beams. Typically, Timber Post and Beam structures are made of timber, held with metal brackets. These may be built of log (round) or timber (milled square).

Timber Framing is a specialized version of timber post and beam that is built like furniture, utilizing wood joinery such as mortise and tenon, held in place with wooden pegs.

The TFBC question and answer does not address Stick Framing and the differences between the other kinds of framing. I am looking for a concise description for stick framing that demonstrates in the company of the other descriptions the major differences.

I trust that this helps.

Last edited by JonathanBurnett; 01/09/12 10:41 PM.

Jonathan Burnett
Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: JonathanBurnett] #28199 02/18/12 10:59 AM
treizea Offline
Interesting conversation. How would call the house on this picture? Its a picture of a Japanese house, its timber framed but using metal fastening with part of the frame exposed, part of the frame enclosed and covered with lime plaster. The enclosing was done after this picture was taken.

Attached Files
timberframing?.jpg (119.26 KB, 282 downloads)
Last edited by treizea; 02/18/12 11:00 AM.
Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: treizea] #28209 02/20/12 06:15 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
I would call it 'cheap'. A hybrid stick frame with bolted and bolt-reinforced timber parts, and a pretty common thing seen in Japan these days. Any joinery is likely pre-cut by CNC.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Timber Framing vs Stick Framing [Re: Chris Hall] #28233 02/25/12 01:07 AM
treizea Offline
Its how houses are now built in Japan, all pre-cut. Either that or 2x4/6. I roam around all the sites I see in my neighbourhood and its all I see. I assume the only buildings built the traditional way are temples. The Ise Shrine is being re-built now, I helped carry logs in a traditional ceremony a few years ago. Sadly can't see the construction as its in a sacred area.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users