Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cutting a tapered mortise #27908 01/11/12 01:05 AM
S
skip dillon Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Need some guidance/suggestions on the easiest/best way to cut the taper on a thru mortise in a post (8 x 8) that will ultimately house a dovetail tenon on the end of a cross beam. I have tried to cut a few with a framing chisel but have not mastered that technique, and I am not happy with the results. I do have a chain mortiser but is it safe to cut a taper with that? Any set up tips or techniques would be appreciated. As always, thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge with a beginner.

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: skip dillon] #27909 01/11/12 03:08 AM
D L Bahler Offline
One thing, when cutting a taper always cut from the narrower end toward the wider end on a sloped face. This way you are cutting across the grain and not into it. If you try to cut from big to little you will get a lot of tearout and it will resist you a whole lot

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: skip dillon] #27910 01/11/12 03:21 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
What brand of chain mortiser? The Makita will allow an angled cut. The cross cut types, however do not.

In using hand tools, I have used a boring machine set to the angle and bored the end hole at the angle. I have also used a hand rip saw to cut each side of the mortice and finished it with corner and regular chisels. I have also used the Stihl method.

Perform most of the work from the wide end of the mortice, try not to push the last bit out the other side. Have good crisp ends marked on the mortice ends. I work the narrow end first and only an inch or less into the mortice, to lessen the chance of flipping the face out. Use the framing square to ensure both ends of the slope are true. It should be as true as you can make it, for sure no humps in the slope. I use a 1-1/2" chisel on 2" mortices almost all the time now. It is much easier to push/pound.

Is the cross beam housed into the 8x8 post? If so use a haunched shoulder not a full square housing. A square housing makes for difficult assembly.

I like half dove tails. But it could be reasonable to just use a through tenon with a couple heavy pegs. Span and loads would impact this decision.

Are you using a wedge driven from the inside or outside? I drive them wicked hard from the outside and then put a fastener in the wedge, screw or nail. I don't want it to move after things dry.

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: D L Bahler] #27911 01/11/12 03:23 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
DL, I think you have that backwards. Cut from the big to the little, down the slope, the hole has to get smaller.

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: TIMBEAL] #27912 01/11/12 03:40 AM
D L Bahler Offline
My mistake, you are correct. Thanks for catching that!

But also, sometimes it isn't so straightforward as this either. The wood grain can sometimes do funky things which meakes cutting a little more complicated than all this. But in general yes, big to little. Sometimes my mind works backwards when I type things out!

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: D L Bahler] #27913 01/11/12 05:15 PM
S
skip dillon Offline OP
OP Offline
S
guys, thanks for the suggestions. The chain mortiser I have is a makita 7104L. Any tips or safety concerns with the set up and cutting the taper with this tool?

"Is the cross beam housed into the 8x8 post? If so use a haunched shoulder not a full square housing" I'm not sure of the terminology here. My posts have a 1" shoulder cut into the inside face of the post that will support the bottom of the cross beam. So I think this is a haunched shoulder?

I do plan on using a wedge from the outside of the post...good tip to anchor it with a mechanical fastener.

Thanks again for your time.

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: skip dillon] #27914 01/11/12 06:04 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Yes, Skip, it looks like the shoulder is haunched, as you describe it. If you reduced the whole housing to 7" you would have an issue.

When using the morticer, it has three different angles while boring, just stop the last bore on an angle. I have very little experience in using one of these but with the use I have I don't see any issues.

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: TIMBEAL] #27915 01/12/12 12:19 AM
D
denton4th Offline
D
You can cut an angled mortise with a cross cut mortiser. If you use the guide that references the face parallel to the depth of the mortise then you take your first plunge on the angle of the taper... mark the angle to the offset of your guide. If the mortiser references the face perpendicular to the depth of the mortise then you can cut a wedge to plunge the tapered angle. It is similar to using a drill guide from your drops for a piece of threaded rod at a rafter to kingpin to rafter connection.

If the wood is green you can always put the wedge for the dovetail on the inside to then tighten after shrinkage. I prefer it from the outside, if any force pulls on it will pull the wedge into the joint. If you are enclosing the structure from the outside there is no need to nail the wedge... the enclosure should hold the wedge in place.

With the makita mortiser I would recommend using a wedge on the high side of your mortiser... don't just rely on the clamp to hold the mortiser in place. I like to cute a few triangles made from 3/4 MDF (what was on hand in the shop at the time).

This is one of the best tension joints that can be used in wood joinery in tension. It has been pegged in history... I don't see the need other than to hold it in place during the erection. The wedge should hold it in place for the rest of time after the erection.

William Denton IV

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: TIMBEAL] #27916 01/12/12 12:52 AM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
You can cut a angled mortise with a cross-grain mortiser, by putting a wedge of the same slope underneath. It's pretty easy.

Definitely do the diminished haunch as Tim mentioned.

Laying out slopes on a timber that's not perfectly square can get pretty weird. With that wedged half-lap you have three sloped surfaces--the top of the wedge, the bottom of the tenon, and the top of the housing. What I do is lay out everything on the primary reference face (where the wedge goes in) first. Then draw your slopes on the two side faces. Then connect where those three slopes hit the inner non-reference face (arris to arris). You can only square them across that face if the timber is perfectly square. If the timber is not square, then the those lines will angle across that face. This will be most obvious on the diminished haunch, because it's the steepest angle. If that's utterly confusing, I can draw something up in SU.

Re: Cutting a tapered mortise [Re: timberwrestler] #27917 01/12/12 01:32 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Hi Brad, I have only had my hands on a cross grain mortiser for a matter of minutes. Shims are great.

Layout on square timber that are not square begs for a new topic, some time in the future. Rafter feet get complicated, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users