Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Blue moss on pine beams #28093 02/09/12 11:20 PM
J
John L. Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a post and beam frame all closed in from the weather that has been sititng for two years, I am now finishing the beams and there is quite a bit of blue moss that has blead through.
Has anyone had good luck with a product to remove / kill this before I stain the beams.

I am told that a bleach will make that area diffrent form other areas when finished and TSP leaves a greasy film that really needs to be hosed off which I cannot do.

I am also looking for some ideas on what to use for a finish,looking to keep the natural look of the wood without adding a color, I tried linseed oil but turned very yellow quickly and water base does not give a very natural look unless somebody had a diffrent experience.

Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: John L.] #28094 02/09/12 11:52 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I presume it is not really blue moss. More likely you are talking about the blueing of the sap wood present in the pine? If it is the blued sap wood you will most likely not be able to remove it. Sanding it will get rid of the surface crud, but the true blue is throughout the sap wood.

If it has been under cover for two years it should now be dry enough that all the blueing has occurred and will not continue, you have what you see. Bleach is very harsh and I don't feel it will do much good at this point.

It appears you have a conflicting problem in your query about what stain to use, but want to keep the natural look of the wood? I believe the vast reasoning on using oils and or stains will come down to personal choice. I don't see a lot of reasoning behind oils and even more stain. One place I can see oil use is in a high traffic area where it may get handled a lot. The oil will keep it to a consistent shade. Where if left naked it will pick up hand oils and grime, leaving behind a more and truer natural patina. It is these human traces I find interesting, you get to see our reactions within the building, this is the true natural state.

Perhaps others with more oil experience will chime in.

Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: TIMBEAL] #28113 02/10/12 09:05 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I'm not sure if God can remove blue stain -- I've certainly had no luck despite much effort and many, many different products and methods tried. The problem is that it is actually inside the cell walls and it goes deep into or all the way through the wood, so you can't sand it off.

That being said, I really like landark wood finishes (www.landarknw.com) specifically the original finish for an all purpose finish. It doesn't add a color, but it does deepen the color already there (including the blue of the blue stain.)

Good luck and if you do find the silver bullet of blue stain removal, I'd love to know it.

Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: Gabel] #28114 02/11/12 02:11 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I've become a Landark addict as well.
As for the blue stain, call it a 'denim pine' frame and enjoy. wink

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: Raphael D. Swift] #28116 02/11/12 11:12 AM
C
Cecile en Don Wa Offline
C
Hello,

Sunlight will do the trick over time. I've never known of an ugly piece of intact wood given time. This may change through as many of the works with coated surfaces get on in age. Of all of these transparent or semi-transparent finishes oil will be the least damaging. If you experienced to much yellowing this would come from the particular oil used and not oil in general. Perhaps it was boiled linseed oil for example which will yellow excessively and should not be used as a transparent finish on wood other than darker colored ones. Just be content in the knowledge that in twenty years, hopefully a short span in the live of this structure, the untreated wood will have mellowed in color, everything blending together nicely and only getting better with more time whereas in the case of any transparent finish, the opposite is the case. It starts out looking fine often but it's all down hill after that.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Last edited by Cecile en Don Wa; 02/11/12 11:19 AM. Reason: blueprint
Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: Cecile en Don Wa] #28118 02/11/12 08:28 PM
H
heavydraft Offline
H
I had a steep learning curve with stain in pine last year. From it I learned to sticker pine (mostly ponderosa in my case) with lots of air flow (4x4), and not cover with tarps. I used roof metal or plywood. I tried a low voc product that was supposedly for the purpose of mildewed or blue stain, and bleach, but with very limited success. Coupled with sanding, it lightened on pieces that were only lightly stained, but I still discarded one freakishly stained piece. I've landark and its great, but I am personally beginning think oils can give the wood a bit of a plastic look.

Brandon

Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: heavydraft] #28119 02/11/12 11:02 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
I was told that light colored wood darken with age, and dark colored woods lighten with age.

I don't know if that helps you, but as mentioned blue stain is there and there is nothing that will remove it.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: Jim Rogers] #28142 02/13/12 02:56 PM
frwinks Offline
It's Nature's own staining process. I've seen some man made "blue pine" products out there and they never look the same as the real stuff. Don't fight it, embrace the beauty and enjoy. As for finish, we used 50/50 mix of raw linseed and turp mix, no plastic look and brings out the grain.

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: frwinks] #28144 02/13/12 07:38 PM
daiku Offline
Diluted bleach will stop it in it's tracks, but it won't get any lighter.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Blue moss on pine beams [Re: frwinks] #28147 02/13/12 08:26 PM
J
John L. Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for the info.
Have you ever used the Land Ark natural wood finishes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users