Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Source of unmilled softwood logs #28311 03/19/12 10:24 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
I am looking for a source of unmilled softwood logs for a job, most likely Eastern White Pine. I am accustomed to buying hardwoods or milled timbers and do not have a supplier of unmilled softwood (Indiana is dominated by hardwood, so none is available locally)

This project is to build a small log-type structure. It will be used as a cheesemaking house and will be built in the Swiss Chaletbau style, which is a building technique employing tightly stacked squared timbers, comparable to chinkless log building. But the job calls for all of the timbers to be hand hewn.

I need a supply of pine logs big enough to yield 6x6 for the walls and 6x8 timbers for roof beams.

I will post more exact numbers once I have that all figured out. Preferrable would be a supplier from not too far away, such as PA, OH, TN or KT

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Source of unmilled softwood logs [Re: D L Bahler] #28314 03/20/12 01:13 AM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
I will need something in the order of 50-30 foot logs and 100-20 foot logs, in a size range of 10 to 12 inches dia.

Re: Source of unmilled softwood logs [Re: D L Bahler] #28320 03/20/12 09:21 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I can't help with the source, but I would suggest getting them in several deliveries in order to avoid excessive drying before you get them hewed.

Re: Source of unmilled softwood logs [Re: Gabel] #28322 03/21/12 11:26 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
DL, you going to have/want help hewing those?

Re: Source of unmilled softwood logs [Re: TIMBEAL] #28332 03/22/12 04:46 PM
M
Mike Shenton Offline
M
I live in the western mountains of NC. I just spoke to a guy that told me the mills here aren't buying any white pine since there isn't a market for it. There is plenty here and I'm sure the price should be good. I could also saw what you needed oversized so you could still hew it down to what you need. It would sure save on shipping and save wood that would just be chunked off.

Michael Shenton
Re: Source of unmilled softwood logs [Re: Mike Shenton] #28333 03/22/12 08:55 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
We may have a local source, old overgrown windblocks and such. We may even have some family that would be getting rid of some 60 decent pines, which would have enough timber in them to meet our needs for this project.

And we may not end up hewing at all, it all depends on what works the best for us. This is for our own use, so I am my own client, and I'm pretty easy for me to work with smile
Hewing is the preference, but contraints of time and money might mean that we have a local guy with a woodmizer cut the logs to size for us, or even rent a sawmill and do it ourselves.
If we get sticks of the right size, we will hew. If we get sticks big enough to yield 2 timbers, we will at least saw the logs in half. We might go the route of hewing really big timbers out and sawing them in two. Again, this all depends on our supply. If we have to buy, we will buy dimensioned timbers and maybe treat the outside face with the axe for water shedding purposes.

Re: Source of unmilled softwood logs [Re: D L Bahler] #28338 03/23/12 06:00 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are some images

First, a front elevation showing a semi-finished appearance.

Second, a side elevation showing a few construction details

and last, the plan. The plan shows the floor space with the roofline superimposed.

Whit oak for the ground sills, which will rest on pilings. Probably ash for the roof sills and ridge beam, but maybe hickory. For the rafters, I may use locally harvested hardwood poles flat on 2 faces. Everything else is eastern white pine.

The building will be errected on a temporary foundation in a temporary location, to be moved in the future. As such, the roofing material for now will be temporary. We are thinking of using local cottonwood to make long (6') shingles, these should last at least until we dismantle the whole thing and move it to its permenant location about 10 miles away. We are looking at cottonwood because it is free if we take it (it is a pest for farmers) and it is dimensionally stable. Not very durable, but that is a non-factor here. Cottonwood will also be used for floors and cielings.

We are considering the possibility of opening up this project and holding a workshop on Blockbau, and wonder what level of interest there would be in this?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users