Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Good wood stain #28601 04/27/12 10:10 PM
D
danfink Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I want to put a simple stain on my timbers this summer. Just something to bring out the natural colors. I know the Guild likes to advertise for Land Ark, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has some tried and true homemade mixtures.

Someone has already suggested 1 part paint thinner to 1 part boiled linseed oil. I've also seen this suggested as 1 part linseed to 2 parts paint thinner.

Any other mixture recipes out there? Comments? Experiences?

Re: Good wood stain [Re: danfink] #28603 04/28/12 09:52 AM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

So technically the oil treatment you mention is a finish, nominally protective with some darkening of the wood as a byproduct, and distinct from staining which is strictly adding a color that will remain more or less translucent depending on how resistant the pigment is to light and other influences.

But I guess the point is to have an effect on the surface appearance of the wood. It's understandable once you have seen the wood freshly milled and then watched the colors and patterns fade in a short time after that. We want to maintain that striking effect of freshly exposed wood.

My approach is this. There are basically three stages the wood goes through in terms of outward appearance, if left alone, and in my experience this is always the case no matter what function the wood would be put to, that's a bit of an exaggeration though. These are my own characterizations - Newly surfaced, initially employed, maturation.

This initial employment stage is the most precarious. This is after the often bright coloration and figuration have faded and the surface has started being subjected to use and handling and general exposure to the cruel world. It can start to look bad even. Patience here is the best approach and the knowledge that this is normal and natural and most importantly will pass.

Mostly now is when people convince themselves to treat the surface in some way or other, but left to time the wood will continue to mellow and even transform, stains and water marks will fade, dust will gather in the spaces between and merge into a general sort of coating or stain we call patina and the wood will be again something different in appearance than it initially was maybe even more beautiful than when freshly cut, and more importantly when compared to an artificial surface treatment, will continue to improve.

The real question is, do you have the patience?

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Last edited by D Wagstaff; 04/28/12 09:54 AM. Reason: internal/external
Re: Good wood stain [Re: D Wagstaff] #28604 04/28/12 10:12 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Nicely put, Don. Oil of Patience. and it is low cost, no physical labor involved, non toxic, green which saves the environment, no need to decide if it is brushed on, rolled sponged, and what do you do with the left over. I love the transition where the less exposed sections meet the more exposed.

Re: Good wood stain [Re: TIMBEAL] #28608 04/28/12 03:58 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Light colored wood darken with age, dark colored wood lighten with age, I have been told.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Good wood stain [Re: Jim Rogers] #28612 04/29/12 12:47 AM
T
tomstaplez Offline
T
I just finished a pine gazebo with blo, turpentine, and spar urethane.

I'm very happy with it so far. Grain certainly 'poped' out. It darkened slightly.

It should get a couple more coats especially on the end grain.

If I did it again I would use one of the many turpentine substitutes. The smell lingerers for days.

Some of the timbers were sanded with 80grit, others 120.

Applied with a small roller, then ragged off after 30 minutes or so.

Store images/videos/sketchup files/ect online. Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/tMsg9k4
Re: Good wood stain [Re: danfink] #28630 05/02/12 12:46 AM
D
danfink Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks all for the replies.

Don, you are right - I am looking for a finish - not a stain. I think naturally aged and colored wood is beautiful as well, and all the wood on the exterior will remain as such. For the wood on the interior, I think I am going to proceed with a homemade finish of 1:1 paint thinner to boiled linseed oil. Aesthetics aside, I will be using plaster next to the timbers, and the stain will help prevent splotchiness forming on the timbers when plaster goes astray and finds itself (temporarily) on the timbers.

Thanks again you all.
Dan

Re: Good wood stain [Re: danfink] #28635 05/02/12 09:42 AM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hi Dan,

Why boiled linseed oil?

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users