Hello all,
I want to produce the Ultimate Timber Framers Tape Measure. Please take my survey at the end to help me determine what Framers want,
This will be a good quality retractable tape measure, but the zero will start 1", 10" or 12" up the tape from the hook. Here is a sketch.

My goal is to reduce the number of mistakes timber framers can make during layout. Many Timber Framers don't use the hook on a tape, but "burn 10 inchs" or some variant. I'm trying to make the process more idiot proof as much for myself as others. If we added all the layout time, cutting time, and time wasted standing around on raising day because a piece was laid out and cut wrong, that would add up to a lot of waisted energy.

I've found a manufacturer/owner who is willing to modify his tooling to make this tape measure. He is not going to make money from this project, but is still willing to do it. He's a wood worker and is willing to help with this. I will not make a dime off this. I just want a couple of these tape measures.

His deal with me is that I need to get at least 500 pre-sell committments, and he'll work with me. The tooling change alone will cost a minimum of $5K, and he wants to understandably try to recover as much of this cost as possible.

There are a number of options in the survey. Please only take the survey once. Please pass this survey on to any other Timber Framers in your shop or that you know. You can leave your email in the comments or on this thread and I will respond.
Thank you,
Brad Baber
Guild Member

Ultimate TF Tape Survey