Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Reasons we lose members #29190 06/14/12 01:54 AM
H
Housewright Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I recently helped with a raising of a frame cut by a founding member of the Guild whom is no longer a member. I was guessing why he would not keep his membership and the main reason seemed to be that he thought he knows enough that membership is no longer worthwhile.

I dropped out of the Guild for years only to realize the error of my ways and return with gusto. Now I certainly know I can be a member for the rest of my life and continue learning new things. Maybe this would be different if I just did new framing rather than restorations and research?

Does anyone else have any stories about people who have dropped out?

Thanks;
Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Reasons we lose members [Re: Housewright] #29193 06/15/12 12:09 AM
R
Roger W Nair Offline
R
In my case, I dropped off the rolls for a while and have rejoined for various reasons. I dropped for reasons of hardship, injury and chronic medical problems. I rejoined because I owe the Guild, the craft and people, who need to learn, a return on Knowledge I gained, that was offered freely, reluctantly, by example and by toil. I find that the richness of art and craft is marketed through a process of scarecity and high expense, personally I want art and craft to be pervasive, because we live in the world of designed objects, we all need an in. So here in the forum, I try to offer back albeit in a small way. I would also urge those that can to attend workshops, conferences and gatherings to share and soak it up, there's gold in them thar wills.

Re: Reasons we lose members [Re: Roger W Nair] #29195 06/15/12 06:42 AM
D Wagstaff Offline
Hello,

Thanks Roger, I know I have been at least one to have taken concrete action directly as a result of your participation here. Others on the line have helped out as well.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users