Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
vertical plank construction #157 04/20/02 01:32 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I would like to have someone out there comment on the origin of this type of construction. I know of 2 examples here in Dundas County, Ontario Canada, one (a small barn) is devoid of vertical timbers in the exterior walls. The planks are held in place with hand made nails and exhibit circular saw marks dating it in this region to about mid 1800's, while the other a school building built in 1867, has a normal timberframe covered with the vertical planks.

Re: vertical plank construction #158 05/05/02 01:41 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Since no one wants to comment on the origin of this type of construction, I certainly would like to discuss the original technique of raising the structure with a group of men at that time.
The NH

Re: vertical plank construction #159 06/12/02 06:46 PM
R
Rolland Miner Offline
R
NF,
While I am not a framer or a carpenter, just a student of old buildings, I have some information that might be of interest regarding plank construction.

My son bought a house that was built in 1820 and the main core of the house is plank construction. The planks exhibit up and down frame saw marks, probably single bladed by the width of the curf.

It is a lightly framed house. I do not know if he has any photos or not. Probably no as he was more interested in getting the interior walls back up.

If I can dig up anymore on it I will post it up to the sie.

Rolland

Rolland Miner
Director
NWDB Survey 2000
Re: vertical plank construction #160 06/18/02 03:32 PM
J
Jim Flath Offline
J
I am not sure if this is the same animal or not, but the last two issues (numbers 19 & 20) of Wood Design & Building magazine have had articles about stave construction. The method was developed by Norwegians, transferring their shipbuilding skills to church construction. Beginning around 1015, the Norwegians built nearly 1000 stave churches (of which 30 still remain standing), using long, straight vertical timbers (staves). Apparently there is some debate as to whether the technique was developed in Norway or Britain, because there is a church in Greensted that dates back to 1050. Anyway, if this sounds like what you were inquiring about, you can check it out at www.WoodMags.com.

Re: vertical plank construction #161 06/19/02 12:30 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thanks all for the posts, I thought that no one was interested but I guess that one justs needs to be patient.
Rolland, I believe that vertical plank construction was more wide spread than I previous believed, and may have came up into Canada with the UEL's during the 1780's wave of emigration. For many years the belief was that it was of French origin, but from what you are saying it seems that it is appearing down in the Central States area. I know that examples of plank construction appear here in Dundas County Ontario, which was settled by German\Dutch UEL's. I am particularly interested in its use by those that constructed the small barn on the Samuel Schwertfeger Property here in Dundas County. The planks are used exclusively on the exterior walls with the interior brick filled. It is alittle mind boggling how they erected the building without any vertical timbers in the corners or anywhere, just a ring of timbers at the mud sill level, and at the upper plate level. I do believe that plank construction has its merits, and may be an expedient and quick way of putting up a good substantial building. There is a school house not that far away built about 1867 that uses vertical timber for the frame, with the exterior wall clad with 2" vertical planks, covered with vertical 1" pine boards to cover the breaks between the planks. Once again thanks for the comments, I am inviting more discussion on the technique of raising the small plank barn--any ideas? NH

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users