Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
gin poles #2073 10/20/05 08:58 PM
D
davisr Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I'm looking for a general guide for rigging gin poles for different applications. I'm building a log structure in a remote area of Alaska with not road access, so conventional cranes are out of the question. Perhaps a gin pole will enable us to lift logs into place, especially as the wall rises higher. Also, we could use the mechanical advantage for placing the ridge pole and rafters. I've never used a gin pole, so I'm seeking some assistance.

Re: gin poles #2074 10/21/05 02:56 PM
G
gordmac Offline
G
Check out Grigg's fine series of article in Timber Framing:
No 69, September 2003, Lifting Apparatus Calculations
No 68, Ropes & Knots
No 67, Raising Calculations & Prep
And have a look at US Army Field Manual FM 5-125, Rigging Techniques Procedures and Applications You can download the pdf for free on-line.

Gord

Re: gin poles #2075 10/21/05 04:33 PM
D
davisr Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks. Were those articles in Timber Framing (magazine?) I found the US Army manuals at www.specialoperations.com, but could not get the site to open. Perhaps the manuals are now restricted.

Re: gin poles #2076 10/22/05 12:41 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
hello davisr:

Using a gin pole is something that has been in our family background, and I have used the technique to raise timberframe structures in the past when insufficient manpower was not available.
We used a single pole (that is 10 to 12 feet higher than your highest wall or frame) of a hard wood variety (ash or oak 5 to 6" at the top end) with double pulleys fastened down about 16" from the top and a single pulley at the bottom of the pole. These pulleys accomodate 1" manila rope, and for motivation power a team of horses (or a good single horse).
Fitting neatly over the top end is a metal harness bolted to secure it to the pole and on this metal harness is attached two large rings that can swing free and be attached to guy ropes that lead out and downward to securing points.
You also need double pulley at the hooking point, this will give you good gentle lifting power when you are ready for the lift. The pole is allowed to slant out over the wall so that the log can be lowered down into its place, once it has been lifted high enough to clear the top of the wall.
During the lift it is a good idea to have men on 2 safety ropes following the lift along just in case you run into trouble and need to stop momentarily.
The single pole apparatus is easy to move around by 3 men, and was widely used to erect various things before cranes etc.
One historical photograph that I have seen was the installation of a 30 foot stack on the boiler for a stationary steam engine, it was hoisted up high enough to be let down through the roof of the building housing the steam engine boiler, it was quite interesting how they manouvered it around safely.

I hope this helps you somewhat with you raising venture.

It is imperative that you have good tongs that can grab the logs securely at their balancing point, and that will release easily.
NH

Re: gin poles #2077 10/22/05 02:00 AM
G
gordmac Offline
G
Hi there

Yes, I was talking about Timber Framing magazine,edited by Ken Rower and published by the TF Guild. There's a link under 'Publications' from the TF home page and back issues are available from:
http://store.yahoo.com/tfguild/bacisoftimfr.html

If you're looking for FM 5-125 try this: http://www.webstile.ch/knoten/rigging/toc.pdf

Gord

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users