Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? #31760 01/05/14 04:28 AM
C
collarandhames Offline OP
OP Offline
C
After reading the entire "what do we do when the guild is ____" thread, all I can suggest is that we all list on one thread, in one single paragraph, with no name calling, a single thread where we all list what we think would help the TFG. A seperate thread would be possible to name call and point out where we went wrong.

I will go first.

I think the TFG should claw back on all expenses, although I like to get the timberframing mag in the mail if possible. I think the apprenticeship program should be put on hold for a year. I will try to get my co-workers to join up and pay dues. I would like to attend a northern conference this year. I would love to see some media attention on affordability of smaller timberframes.

dave
(I'm a simple guy, please give your suggestions below)

Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #31781 01/09/14 03:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
ok. no takers. no problem. was just trying to drum up some positive feedback.

Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #32330 06/06/14 03:39 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Wondering if I should renew my membership.

Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #32333 06/06/14 06:25 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I think you should and the reason is simple -- to support timber framing and the timber framing community.

The guild has had some troubles over the last couple of years, no doubt. We on the board have worked pretty hard to fix what wasn't working and to stay focused on the future.

Here's some of the things that I think are going pretty well right now --

For the first time in years, we are on course to spend less than we earn this year.

We have had two very successful projects this year -- most recently in Pemberton, BC. The Guild's impact on those communities and all of the people involved has been huge. Each time we partner with a community or organization to do a community project like this we are literally building the better world we envision. We are impacting not only our own lives through the process, but also the lives of hundreds and in some cases thousands of others through the buildings we leave behind to be used and loved for decades or centuries.

The apprenticeship program (which is 100% self-funded by the participants and not by general Guild funds) continues to provide high level training to the apprentices and journeyworkers, building an impressive catalog of training materials for our industry/craft nearly from scratch and with limited resources.

The Engineering Council is active in funding research and technical documents that they are using in their efforts to get timber framing recognized and accepted by the building codes.

The Traditional Timberframe Researh and Advisory Group continues to study and honor our heritage through historic building surveys and serious study of historic timber frames -- no one else is studying old timber frames the same way.

Our Journal continues to be a finely crafted publication offering serious information about timber framing. There is nothing else like it anywhere.

Our conference this August in Manchester NH has some incredible programming -- it's going to be killer from top to bottom and I can't wait. Everyone who can should be there -- it is going to be an absolutely great conference.

If you can find even one or two things in this list that you can support then I think it's a no brainer to send a check and renew your membership -- if we don't do these things, who will?

If you'd like to chat about any of this, look up my contact info on the Guild website (Guild Personnel page).

-Gabel Holder

Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #32339 06/09/14 01:11 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Here here Mr. Holder.

As I've been saying to people I talk to about why I'm here, and why I want the TFG to survive, prosper, and grow - I say 'I came for the craft, and stayed for the community.'

Unreal, what Randy and Mack and crew pulled off in Pemberton.

Honored, to work side by side with people who are self funding the apprenticeship program to better themselves and the TFG.

Respect to TTRAG and those that came before.

And awe that members of the TFEC get up everyday to make sure what we build stands up, and stays up.

And so many other good things.

Last edited by bmike; 06/09/14 01:11 AM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #32469 07/29/14 02:09 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I've not been on the forum in the past , well while, because if seems to have become stale. I realize that is partly my fault. I have been working with Mark Davidson for over 10 years now, and have done some pretty fancy timber framing with him, and have saved more than a few barns albeit not with traditional repair methods, but with methods which the customer can afford, and in the interest of securing the building.
I will try to renew tonight, I tried a little while ago, was hard to find a renew button but will try again. I have taken on a teaching role at the local college, and we certainly receive a few resumes a week it seems. Timberframing seems to be the job of choice to young apprentices up here in ontario. I wish I could do it 100% of the time. right now it's more like 40-60%.
Thanks Gabel and bmike for adding to this thread.
yours
dave

Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #32543 08/16/14 03:23 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I've renewed and my new sticker is on my little truck. I drive a 96 sonoma. I'm not compensating for anything. I love timber framing. Thanks all.

Re: jan 4 2014. where do we go from here? [Re: collarandhames] #32545 08/16/14 12:41 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Thanks for renewing.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users