Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sawmill blade tension? [Re: collarandhames] #32539 08/16/14 03:09 AM
C
collarandhames Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Gabel, I replaced the tires. however I was told buy a guy who I found to make me a set of guides that I possibly have installed the wrong ones. he said that the cheapest belts are the best, and the good quality ones I got from my local bearing and belt shop might be lumpy. I spent several hours wrestling them in place. :-( next time I run my mill I will look at the roundness of the tires.

Re: Sawmill blade tension? [Re: collarandhames] #32540 08/16/14 03:11 AM
C
OP Offline
C
At this point, I need to run the mill and start cutting. I'll know more after a few logs.

Re: Sawmill blade tension? [Re: collarandhames] #32552 08/19/14 08:16 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Don't you hate that? -- you spring for the good stuff and someone tells you that the cheap stuff is better.

Re: Sawmill blade tension? [Re: collarandhames] #32572 09/09/14 12:21 AM
Falberg Offline
Tension and tracking are two different, but related, issues. Despite whatever mechanical issues may be inherent to your saw's design; you shouldn't apply any more tension than required to keep the blade running straight through the wood. Blade deflection can occur for many reasons, but most commonly it happens because the blade isn't sharp enough nor set enough to resist deflectionary obstacles in the workpiece, like knots or cross grain. Learn all you can about blade set angles and make sure you have a sharp blade pointed in the right direction first, then look to see if your tires comprise a radius equal to the radius of the wheel itself, and that the combination of wheel and tire are indeed uniformly round and smooth. Keep in mind that it's pointless to use a spring tensioning device if the spring is locked in place by a bound slide assembly. If the slide don't slide it's not a slide, it's an adjustable slot. There's a difference. If your wheels aren't round, there's not enough tension in the world to keep that blade from flapping around. Balancing the wheels on a stationary vertical pin, or static balancing, (which you can set up and do in your own shop/garage) helps to eliminate a lot of vibration also. If your wheels aren't round and crowned you'll never get your blade guides to work consistently either. If you run more tension than your motor can drive; you don't need a bigger motor, you need to lighten up on the tension. My rule of thumb is to pull the blade sideways like it was being forced off-track by an obstacle and watch the tensioner follow the movement. If there's no movement; you have a jammed-up blade-stretcher. Watch out for flying saw teeth!

Re: Sawmill blade tension? [Re: collarandhames] #32608 10/02/14 01:47 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Flaberg, thanks for the post, and welcome to the forum. I don't get on here often enough, and your input is awesome. tires to be a radius equal to the radius of the wheel eh? I never knew. I'll scribe it up and have a look see!I definitely don't have a spring tensioning device, only a slide. hmm, I'll come back to your knowledgeable post again!
thanks
dave

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users