Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Small workshop in FL! Shoes optional... #31983 02/06/14 06:31 PM
J
Jayson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Haha... The shoe thing is kinda of funny for a friend up in Canada (see Scantlings 174 and 175). But seriously I try to run a laid back operation that focuses on quality and good habit building. As an itinerant for over 10 years I have pretty good collection of tips, tricks and techniques to share. From million dollar estates to backyard sheds, there is something to be learned from each building. So weather you're planning to build an arbor (which is what we will be doing in this workshop) or dream of building your own barn or home there is some useful knowledge to take home.
Work will begin as soon as next week and continue for a couple of weeks or more. Plan is to build a 12' × 12' Cypress arbor that will be finished with a living roof. Lots of hand tool work from planing the timbers to some fairly elaborate post embellishments. We will square rule most of the frame although there are a few organic (citrus) braces to be scribed.
As always the workshop will cater to the needs of the participants. If you're looking to become a owner/builder or become a full time itinerant and travel the world we will help direct you to the resources you need. Now the not so bad news. Although my workshops until now have been free, this building will not be generating any revenue so I am asking for $70 per day per participant.

Re: Small workshop in FL! Shoes optional... [Re: Jayson] #31986 02/09/14 07:21 PM
K
KyleMurphy Offline
K
Wish this was closer to me. Jayson is a great teacher and co-framer. Easy to work with and always positive. Good luck man!

Re: Small workshop in FL! Shoes optional... [Re: Jayson] #32001 02/12/14 03:51 PM
J
Jayson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the nice words Kyle. Wish you were closer too. This one's gonna be way more laid back than the perpetual workshop you came to in NC. We are going to experiment with some embellishments I think you would like. I'll post some photos. Have a good day!

Re: Small workshop in FL! Shoes optional... [Re: Jayson] #32060 02/22/14 10:19 PM
S
SC5 Offline
S
Great idea, the sandals!
I once met two brothers in Tennessee who used to frame barefoot in the seventies; while living in a commune, the younger one was a rocket scientist, the other is very successful in Nashville.
I learned more in a few days from Jayson in North Carolina, than from any other TF work experience I've ever had - he is patient teacher, and I should know, being a teacher myself.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users