Print Thread
Rate Thread
High carbon steel #32335 06/08/14 07:23 PM
J
JustinR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
First post here so hi to you all.
I'm one of a very few full time framers who still uses a drill and chisels to cut mortices.
I'm therefore compromised by my lovely old corner chisel being bust (bought almost two decades ago on my first visit to the US).
The first 1/2in. of one side has bent right over. It's laminated and the hard steel has cracked (I can see there was a weakness there), soft steel still hanging together.

Anyway I need to cut the end off somehow without heating it.
Took it to my local steel engineering firm who refused to put it in their water cooled bandsaw for fear of spoiling a blade on the high carbon steel?
Tried a hack saw myself but I might need my grandchildren to finish the job off for me.
Any ideas?
Are there any special hacksaw blades to deal with the harder end of the steel spectrum?
It would be nice to bring this rusty old veteran back to life, and I'm not talking about myself!
Cheers from Scotland
Justin

Re: High carbon steel [Re: JustinR] #32336 06/08/14 08:12 PM
Jay White Cloud Offline
Hey Justin...just happen to me about 10 months ago...:(

Well...I think it may be time for a knew one??? If you have been using (and sharpening) if for twenty years...and now...lost 1/2 inch (plus will lose more in reshaping) you maybe out of the "tempered edge" zone of this gouge and its working life perhaps is at an end...

Some smiths will "reforge with the stock left...

As for trying to grind and/or cut it...and see if it will take a sharp edge again...I have used a diamond (or other type) cutoff wheel with water running on it while I cut...checking every 20 to 30 seconds to make sure there was not heat build up. I have also had susses with just "grinding" at it with a 150 mm to 200 mm grinder after placing the chisel in a freezer, and having water with ice near by to quench it...you must whatch your "colors" and make sure not to grind a new color into it. The later is much more risky!

Good Luck,

j

Re: High carbon steel [Re: JustinR] #32337 06/08/14 08:19 PM
J
JustinR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks Jay, I think I'm going to have to try something since there is a good 9in. of length left in it still. Maybe I can find some water cooled method as you suggest.
Cheers
Justin

Re: High carbon steel [Re: JustinR] #32338 06/09/14 01:06 AM
G
Gumphri Offline
G
I'm not sure what is available for high quality hacksaw blades but, your post reminded me of a tool my grandfather had. He ran a blacksmith/welding show. He didn't use a chop saw for cutting steel. Instead he had a motorized hacksaw that he would clamp a piece of steel in and walk away.

Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca
Re: High carbon steel [Re: JustinR] #32343 06/10/14 10:23 AM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
A horizontal band saw should do that. I used to use one for cutting steel pipe back in my bike-building days. The speed should be slow enough to prevent any heating of the metal, but if you're prepared to hang around you can always dribble cutting oil over it as it goes to help dissipate the heat. Clamping an aluminium heat sink to the blade as close as possible to the cut point might help reduce the speed at which heat builds up.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users