Print Thread
Rate Thread
Dealing with sawyer? #32394 07/02/14 08:25 PM
K
Ken Heath Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,

Recently, I finally had a time to start building timber frame and just finished two projects. I built a 10' x 10' pergola using yellow pine and a 12' X 12' picnic table shelter using oak. I do not own a sawmill so I ordered lumbers from a local sawyer. In the process, I find that they do not mill lumbers to the size I specifically asked for. To their benefit, I did not tell them it was for Timber Frame and I doubt they know what it is. Although it was challenging, I managed to finished fabricating both kits just fine.

Having gone through that, I was wondering what was any of your experience dealing with sawyer who probably know thing about Timber Frame? How did you get them to work with you so you can be sure you are getting lumbers that you expect to get for your project?

One of my mistake was dealing with sawyer for second project (more lumbers needed). Because they were hardwood and sawyer did not really care much for length if it was a little over (one 7x7x14 was given to me as 7x7x20) I had to make two separate trips to get whole load. I was keeping track of what inventory I had already picked up so when I returned to pick up second load, I told sawyer that one 4x6x8 was missing. He got a little upset and said I should have let him know ahead of time.. well how was I supposed to let him know ahead of time if he had another half in his yard and I assumed he probably already had it with the second half. So next time, I will probably bring two copies of inventory list and have him sign off on my copy if I have to make separate trip. At least it was a learning experience for me.

I'm not trying to start negative thread here.. but want to learn how to approach sawyer without making him/them feel offended. I realize that 2x4 construction method is more flexible while Timber Frame is almost unforgiving so how to deal with sawyer who know nothing about it so I can get what I am expecting the next time. For me, it seems more economic and less labor when you buy lumbers from full time sawyer than to be a sawyer and a Timber Framer.

Re: Dealing with sawyer? [Re: Ken Heath] #32396 07/03/14 01:10 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Ken:
Communications are the key.
Were your timbers boxed heart? If so than you're ahead of the game.
If they weren't you may need to educate the sawyer.
Tell him that they need to be and ask him if he needs help understanding how this is done.
It's not hard but some need instruction about how to do it if they haven't done it before.
As you have outlined having an accurate stock list of what was needed, what was loaded and balance due by both parties is a must to keep it straight. You future method should work, if he is willing to work with you and keep it all written down.
Good luck with your project.
Jim Rogers
PS was it a bandsawmill or a circle mill?

Last edited by Jim Rogers; 07/03/14 01:11 PM. Reason: add ps

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Dealing with sawyer? [Re: Ken Heath] #32398 07/04/14 09:14 AM
J
Jon Senior Offline
J
A little over is better than bang on if you can cope with cutting the ends. You're more likely to get a square cut (because you care!) and more importantly you can float your joints around on the timber to try and avoid knots. The sawmill (in France so perhaps not the same working methods) took all my timber dimensions that I'd asked for (already rounded up, but in some cases, not by enough) and added a "bit". Generally this gave me enough leeway in layout, but for one or two it was a bit tight and I had to compromise.

Re: Dealing with sawyer? [Re: Ken Heath] #32399 07/05/14 03:01 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I saw my own stuff on my mill. I know exactly who to complain to if need be. Sometime I change design and size with the log sitting on the mill, usually do to logs not fitting what was originally drafted. I have sold longer than need stock to others because it was what I hand on hand, not special ordered. Other times I will cut a piece if I can use the remains. A 20' when you only need 14' is not too bad, and one piece at that. I dropped 3-4 feet off 12 10"x10" just yesterday on a project we are working on. I will repurpose those drops into...... something most likely 3x3 blocking/stickers between timber stacks.

Re: Dealing with sawyer? [Re: Ken Heath] #32402 07/06/14 05:14 PM
G
Gumphri Offline
G
I find dealing with the same sawyer all the time helps. Understanding his limits helps too. For example, if at all possible we design our buildings to use 16' or shorter stock. We do this because we know the sawyer often gets his logs delivered at 16' instead of full length. It is also trouble for him to get anything longer than 20' into the mill. Sometimes we up the size of rafters not because we need it structurally but we know locally they will come from a more stable timber.

Leslie Ball
NaturallyFramed.ca
Re: Dealing with sawyer? [Re: Ken Heath] #32404 07/07/14 01:36 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I have sawn 54 feet 9"x 9" only a little wane on the end. If you find the right sawyer great things are possible. It is a chore finding good long wood. I am waiting on some 38' pieces.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users