I mentioned earlier that I am working on putting a book together. In reality, I am working on putting several small books together as part of a series detailing Swiss Rural Architecture. This is the primary reason I am travelling back to Switzerland in the spring -I need to take a great deal of pictures and study a few things in person.

You can follow the development of this on my blog, if you like.

But I'm looking for some feedback. I'm trying to decide what is the best way to organize this, whether on a Cantonal/Regional basis, or according to construction type? (The two concepts actually overlap quite a bit) The former is based primarily on how the walls are put together, the latter focuses more on the outward architecture.

Here's a sample of what the books would be like arranged either way:

First, if arranged by building style, I'd have the following 4 books:
Ständerbau, the Timber Frame of the Swiss Plateau
-Eastern Switzerland
-Zürich Style
-Bernese Style
-Blockständerbau (mixed log and timber forms)
Blockbau Log Building of the Swiss Alps
-The Berner Oberland
-Wallis (including the closely related style of Canton Graubünden)
-Central Swiss
-Eastern Swiss
-Alpine (structures built at high elevations)
Riegelbau Half Timbered Houses (These will be mostly modern structures)
-Zürich Style
-Eastern Swiss
-Northern Swiss
-Bernese
Steinbau Houses built of stone
-Romandy (French Switzerland)
-The Jura (Technically part of Romandy, but we'll treat it separately)
-Ticino
-Grisons (Graubünden)

The other method is to arrange regionally, focussing on architectural rather than construction principles.
The Bernbiet or the Bernese Style
-The Hochstudhaus (archaic timber framing)
-The Berner Bauernhaus (Modern timber Frames)
-The Berner Hinterland (Mostly mixed log/timber forms)
-The Tätschdachhaus (old style houses of the prealpine regions)
-The Berner Oberland
Wallis
-Oberwallis
-Unterwallis
-Walser Alps
-Graubünden
Northern and Eastern Swiss
-the Tätschdachhaus (old style houses in the Canton of Zürich)
-The Zürich style
-The Appenzell Style
-Northern Styles
Zentralschweiz
-Tätschdachhaus (the original Central Swiss style)
-The Modern Style (steep roof, many stories often with very many unused rooms)
-Alpine
Romandy
-The Jura
-The Western Swiss Plateau
-Geneva
Italian Swiss
-Ticino
-Graubünden

Personally I think the former method is better. It would be a bit more difficult to put together in a way that is easy to follow, but I think it would also allow me to work in a lot more information on construction principles without repeating a lot of info.
The biggest advantage of the second method is that it would make it a lot easier to show methods that combine multiple different approaches. There are a lot of styles out there that do not strictly fall under any category based solely on one building style.
Another advantage of the second style is that it would generally be a lot easier to put together. However, I think if I arranged the project according to the former method it would be a lot more informative.

My goal is to put something together that is enjoyable to a more casual reader -someone who likes to look at these things but isn't concerned with the details, but at the same time pack a ton of information in there for those that want it. This would be easier if I sorted the books by method, then I could pack the front with a lot of pictures showing the different regional styles of each, then fill the back with a lot of diagrams, exploded frames, etc. and actually deal with how everything is put together.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/