Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Swiss Architecture Model Project #32710 12/25/14 04:18 AM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline
As part of my work on Swiss Architecture and wooden building styles and techniques, I'm creating a variety of models to illustrate the different regional variations as well as more clearly show how it all goes together than is possible with almost any other medium.

To that end, here are a couple of models I produced. Actually, these models both possess the same wall structure, but have different roof structures imposed upon them.
The first is what I would term "Blockständerbau" with a "Blockbau Giebelfeld" or log-built gables. This structure is a hybrid between log and timber building styles, and as you will notice lacks any sort of bracing.
The second structure, possessing the same walls, has a timber framed roof with a much steeper angle. Still lacking any sort of bracing in the walls, but having extensive bracing in the roof structure.
Historically, these two models could in fact represent the same structure. The first model, representing a 'Tätshcdachhus' typical of the central regions of the Canton of Bern, a hybrid structure with a low angle roof. The second model has a steeper roof, representing the typical process of replacing the old low angle roofs with much steeper hipped roofs in the Bernese style, so that more hay could be stored (the original detached hay barns being eliminated)

I won't be releasing the entire models at this time, but here are some pictures.

I hope to put together an extensive database of such structural models. This would be a part of work detailing the methods and principles of these techniques.
That's a big part of why I am returning to Switzerland this fall (during which time I will be heading up the guild tour), hoping to survey a broad range of buildings and styles.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/
Re: Swiss Architecture Model Project [Re: D L Bahler] #32711 12/27/14 06:56 PM
D L Bahler Offline OP
OP Offline

Here are some more pictures, the first is a Bernese style Blockbau (the model is not yet finished) the second is a completed and textured version of the building show previously.
I've included the Blockbau next to the Blockständerbau to highlight both the differences and the similarities between the methods.
To highlight the sheer amount of wood, the Blockbau has some 500 different timbers comprising the main structure, while the framed structure has about half that.

Was de eine ilüchtet isch für angeri villech nid so klar.
http://riegelbau.wordpress.com/

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users