A friend and I just finished building 30 saw horses for timberframing. Collin Beggs turned me on to this design. I originally built some cribbing ponies, but discussing it, the big draw back with cribbing ponies is that you have to often climb over the cribbing timber to move and work around the timbers. These horses stand alone in pairs so you can easily walk around the timber. They are very strong and sturdy. I found a guy with 55 reclaimed 2X8's at a good price. We de-nailed them, cut them down to 6 inch width, cut all the pieces, planed them to clean them up, epoxied any loose knots or voids, rounded over all the edges that can get touched, and then wiped on some Boiled Linseed Oil. I used Black Powerhead screws from FastCap.com (also available in my local Menards), 3" on the legs, and 2.5" on the end connectors. My buddy joked that these are now saw horses, they are "Show Horses". This style of horse is fairly light weight and easy to move around, unlike trestle horses made from 6x6 or bigger timbers. They are easier to store too. I'm sharing the dimensions you would need to build a set. Adjust your leg length to your desired height. Collin recommended 27", but I went with 28". FYI I glued up 2 pieces to make the backs of the horses and screwed them together with Powerhead screws instead of clamps. After dry, I removed the screws and reused them later during assembly. Use a compound miter saw to cut the legs. Once you settle the length you need to get your desired saw horse height, set up a stop so you can make easy quick work of cutting the legs. Use the table saw to cut the end leg connectors. You have to bevel the tops at 14 degrees. I beveled all my scrap, then made a master template and marked the scrap and cut them 20 degrees on each side on the table saw. They came out quite pretty. I figure I'm going to have and use them the rest of my life so why not go a little overboard?

Last edited by brad_bb; 01/28/15 02:54 AM.