Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Advice/resources related to hand rigging #32828 03/04/15 06:24 PM
H
heymarke Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi, I'm new around here. I help build outdoor structures out of cedar: pergolas, pavilions, outdoor kitchens.

As with timber framing, some of the beams and posts get quite large and heavy. I would very much like to learn how to set up rope/pulley assists for lifting things into place when the job budget doesn't allow for heavy equipment like all terrain forklifts. Usually these beams are only being lifted 8-12' in the air, but on occasion much higher: 20 or 30'.

I've seen this done in videos pertinent to erecting timber frame bents, or, for instance, with Amish barn raisings.

Unfortunately, in contrast to the few videos I've seen, I typically am working on the back side of a modern suburban home without ready access to large trees to tie off to, and would need to figure out ways to stabilize a lifting system where sometimes there is no natural landscape to help.

Can anyone direct me to resources that would instruct me on equipment and techniques? I am already a little familiar with basic rope work related to rock climbing and tree climbing with both dynamic and static ropes, but need to round out my knowledge related to maneuvering items with ropes, pulleys, winches, and support structures, etc. Recommendations of books, dvds, workshops, websites, personal advice, etc would all be welcome.

I live in Oklahoma City, btw.

Thanks so much!
Mark

Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: heymarke] #32829 03/04/15 06:52 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Mark:
Great to hear from you, what you need to do is to understand and use a "gin pole"

I have made one that I have here. Also, when on site in Atlanta GA we made one to use there.

There usually is a "rigging" course at Heartwood school, in western MA but I'm not sure if they are having one this year or not.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: heymarke] #32830 03/04/15 08:29 PM
H
heymarke Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks Jim! You referenced a gin pole, which I had seen mentioned in a few online searches I did before joining the Timber Framer's Guild Forum. I also saw references made to a "lifting shear" and to a "tripod." Are these basically the same thing as a gin pole, just with more support legs? Of the three, is the gin pole the one to study that would be applicable to my situation?

Thanks again,
Mark

Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: heymarke] #32831 03/04/15 11:52 PM
Windknot Offline
Mark,
Fellow Okie here.

This is what you want / need:
http://www.genielift.com/en/products/material-lifts/superlift-advantage/

Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: heymarke] #32832 03/05/15 01:40 PM
Will B Offline
TM 5-725. DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY TECHNICAL MANUAL. RIGGING.
Free download from multiple sources if you do a websearch.
Describes how to rig gin poles, shear legs, tripods, etc.
No rigging course at Heartwood this year; we usually do it every other year.

Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: heymarke] #32833 03/06/15 01:31 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
That genie lift is nice, it should be for $3200.

I made my gin pole out of one 6x6x16 and made it with a base piece of 6x6 with two small braces. This prevents the gin pole from leaning left and right. I feel this reduces the risk of it falling over that way.
With the base piece it is bottom heavy and stable to press on.

I have a video on youtube showing us using it to raise a pair of plates when we erected a small garden shed. (search youtube for JimRogers117, and find my channel and look up the raising parts one and two videos.)

We've used it several times. It is easy to move and assemble.
It is fairly easy to use. You just need to have some good points to secure your lines off to.

Keep searching for answers you'll soon have the info you need and it will work for you.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: Jim Rogers] #32834 03/06/15 02:52 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I would not suggest a Genie Lift as a timber frame adept device, because the narrow base will be overshot by the timber placing the workers at risk with a teetering load.

Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: heymarke] #32835 03/06/15 04:00 AM
Windknot Offline
We use them all the time with no problems. If you use your brain and do things correctly, you will have no problems.

With that said, we like the Roust-A-Bouts as well:
http://www.sumner.com/sumner/sub/productb/main.21.7.8.21.0.0.html

Re: Advice/resources related to hand rigging [Re: Windknot] #32836 03/06/15 11:37 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Windknot, I'll try to use my brain. First, I refer you to the original question concerning outdoor structures, which to my way of thinking, presume a natural setting and no smooth level floor required by a Genie Lift. Second, when making a choice with rigging equipment, I want to know what kind of lift a device is well suited. A Genie Lift is for lifting loads concentrated between the forks and well centered over the base placed on a level floor. There is also a serious limitation that a GL has no reach and cannot be used to place objects at a buildings edge safely.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users