Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Back to basics #35793 07/09/20 08:29 PM
Davit Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all

I just joined this forum and I hope to re nurture my old craft, Joinery. I was an apprentice joiner when I was 13, many moons ago, and learned the craft the old fashioned way in Ireland. But I took on other apprenticeships trades (bricklaying, plumbing, electric/onic, drafting, plastering, welding ....) over my early years, so I became one of those guys on a building site that could tackle/assigned any job, including engineering specs. I ended up as a part-time builder and renovator, involved in many projects. But left the building trade in 2006 just before the housing crash in UK/Ireland, as I was also business consultant/trader.

Now, I wish to get back to my early crafts but this time in Ghana. I founded, The Assin Foundation, and one of my aims is to build a Heritage Park, with all wooden framed buildings and structures. To be able to teach the locals some crafts and also learn from them. However, I am considering building a Heritage Village for Busman's holiday resort.

Anyway, this plan is still in the early days and I have a lot to learn, relearn and I hope to attract some interest and help on my/our project(s) progress. My first task is to rebuild/repair our Heritage Centre's rotten roof.

Re: Back to basics [Re: Davit] #35794 07/17/20 02:12 AM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Davit,

This sounds great. I was in Ghana years ago, and had a great time. The TFG has done some international projects. It sounds like what you're trying to pull off could potentially be a good fit. Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Brad

Re: Back to basics [Re: timberwrestler] #35795 07/20/20 12:42 PM
Davit Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Brad,

I've just been in contact with a Japanese Carpenter/trainer so I hope to convince him to join in on a few workshops and a Guest Master teacher.

Because at our Heritage Park, we have an impressive bamboo forest (tall), I like to construct a few LBL (Laminated Bamboo Lumber) from other cut stockpiles all from all over Ghana. I have not seen any LBLs but I like to give it a go in making some LBLs for our Bridge over the River Pra project or an Entrance Gate.

D

Last edited by Davit; 07/20/20 12:43 PM.

Re: Back to basics [Re: Davit] #35800 08/31/20 01:23 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi David

Sounds like a great project, one inwould like to be involved with
I do have some good reasearch material on hewing, adzing, and broadaxe handle carving, if I can help from afar please feel free to ask

I have worked extensively in historic trades, historic millwrights is one of my specialties especially water powered Muley sawmill (1865). Vintage, water powered grist mills, woollen mills

I have lectured on 2 occasions to the timber framers guild on different historic subjects that encompass life in the 1860's

Anyway good luck

The northern hewer
Richard casselman

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users