Print Thread
Rate Thread
hand hewing literature #2767 08/27/06 06:49 PM
G
gabriel Offline OP
OP Offline
G
hi,

can people kindly direct me toward literature that goes into descriptive construction of hand hewing tools. i'm building my first timber-frame cabin right now and have a burning desire to get into hand-hewn furniture making. haven't had any luck finding any books!

thanks,
gabriel

Re: hand hewing literature #2768 08/27/06 07:24 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline
C
Regarding hand hewn log and/or timber structures I would recommend Jack A Sobon's book Build a Classic Timber Frame. It has a good section on hewing, tools, etc. In addition check out Charles McRaven's book about the Hewn Dovetail Log House. I think they are both put out by Chelsea Green Publishing.
I am not aware of "hewing" furniture but would suppose that you mean "riving" furniture which utilises a froe to split the wood into workable pieces for chairs, tables, etc.
I would recommend Roy Underhill books and also a book titled Make a Chair From a Tree. I also noticed on the Carpenters Fellowship website: www.carpentersfellowship.co.uk has a book describing "green wood crafts" and such.
Try googling Green Woodworking books.
-Collin

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400)
Re: hand hewing literature #2769 08/27/06 10:57 PM
G
gabriel Offline OP
OP Offline
G
thanks, collin. i have one of sobon's books at my disposal, Timber Frame Construction. it doesn't go into any detail on making your own tools but does cover hewing logs. i wanted to take the joinery knowledge i'm learning in the timber construction and apply it to making other objects. the books and authors you recommended appear to be an excellent start in that direction.

still taking suggestions from others out there...

gabriel

Re: hand hewing literature #2770 08/28/06 12:54 AM
S
Scott McClure Offline
S
You might want to look in the Tool Forum category for the instructional DVD from the Northern Hewer.

Re: hand hewing literature #2771 08/28/06 12:49 PM
D
Dan Miller Offline
D
It sounds like you want to make your own tools? If so, then you need to latch onto "Tool Making for Woodworkers" by Ray Larsen. I can tell you from experience that blacksmithing is every bit the steep and slippery slope that timber framing and boatbuildng is...

Re: hand hewing literature #2772 08/29/06 01:08 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi Gabriel:

I noticed your post concerning information about hewing tools and their use.

I have helped many in the past add the use of historic woodworking tools to their present skills.

It is a plus to already have carpentry experience when wanting to branch off into historic woodworking whether it is preparing timber for a timberframe, or adzing a smaller section for furniture.

Furniture making will require smaller types of woodworking tools such as a drawknife. You really need to have a proper bench to use and to prepare smaller sections or parts for furniture.

I suggest you construct a shaving horse, this is a very versatile woodworking bench and is well worth the effort that is needed to construct it.
After you have used it you will wonder how you got along without it.

I also can supply you with information on hand hewing larger pieces, and separate information on the use of the carpenter's adze.

I do have plans for an historic shaving horse if you would be interested.

If any of this sounds interesting I would be glad to chat further with you in this regard, and I would also be very interested in helping you further your very interesting project in any way that I can, I hope that it will turn out well for you .
NH

Re: hand hewing literature #2773 09/02/06 09:57 PM
G
gabriel Offline OP
OP Offline
G
yes, i need to build a shaving horse first. that is my plan. i was up in vermont a few years back visiting a carpenter friend in the northern kingdom. she took me up this mountain where one of her friends was residing in a wigwam with his girlfriend. sadly they weren't home but his shaving horse and his homemade tools were all outside. i was definitely awestruck by the beauty of his craftmanship and it inspired me to get into hand hewing. i would definitely be into talking more with you on the topic. could use all the help i can get. the timber framer i am working under is very little help and the least excited about my project. let me know the best way to communicate. --gabriel

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users