Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
dry laid foundation #2966 09/17/06 02:40 PM
T
timber brained Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I read in Jack Sobon's Timber frame construction book that using a dry laid foundation, there would be enough air circulation that the sills need not be pressure treated. Is this true? It seems that the stone would still sweat enough to rot the sills. Most of the old barns in my area eventually needed renovation due to rotted sills but these were all built on mortared stone foundations. Not that the building inspectors would ever let you build on a dry laid foundation, I am still quite curious. thanks tb

Re: dry laid foundation #2967 09/17/06 10:50 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
With proper air circulation timbers will last a long time. The barns you are referring to were probably 200 years old when they finally needed sills, right? PT won't last that long. Most of the damage I have seen at the sill and post bottom level has been from manure packed against it. Or from contact with the earth after a foundation failed. Again, the failure is after a couple of hundred years of frost heaving. I am going to be using a dry laid foundation on my next small shed. I don't know if you could get away with it on a larger building or not. If you look in Jacks book you will see different species of trees and which ones are suitable for decay resistance. Alas, there is no more chestnut, however we still have white oak. I don't even know if the new PT (ACQ?) is contact rated. I don't use any PT, plywood or other "modern" building materials. I did see a barn this summer that had a beautiful chestnut frame with bright green sills and repaired post ends of PT. mad Sorry to wander, but I think that nature will provide most of our solutions, we don't need wood that's been drugged.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: dry laid foundation #2968 09/18/06 12:58 PM
T
OP Offline
T
DMS: Thanks for replying. Yes, the barns are at least 200 years old , some much older like the Dutch barns. They used the super dense old-growth trees for the frames and sills and I think that might have helped endure time. I did not know that pt does not last that long, but it does not surprise me. Buildings of modern society have crap craftsmanship and do not seem designed to endure time like the buildings of old. How long is pt expected to actually last??What to do ?? about building a structure(house) bigger than a tool shed, for which a building permit is needed, if you want to go without the "drugged" wood products like pt????It does not seem that there is an alternative to pt when framing to a masonry foundation???I have wondered whether placing a steel strip between the two would work?, but steel still sweats too, so it is unlikely. Steel is also quite expensive these days. If anyone knows of alternatives to pt for the wood to masonry interface, please let me know. Thanks. tb

Re: dry laid foundation #2969 09/18/06 02:08 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline
C
I use 2-4" thick White Oak (all heartwood, no sapwood) sills with "Sill Seal" between the White Oak and the conventional masonry.

I understand your comments regarding ring density, but I am not certain if ring density in and of itself affects rot resistance.

Of course if you have a really dense piece of wood there will not be much sapwood, which rots easily.
-Collin

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400)
Re: dry laid foundation #2970 09/18/06 02:13 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
A friend of mine just finished the restoration/relocation of an old barn and he replaced the entire floor system with oak. Red oak for the joists, which were peeled logs with one sawn face, and white oak for the sills. The foundation is condrete wall with feildstone veneer on both sides, about two feet thick. The white oak sills rest directly on the foundation. The restoration was done by highly reputable company. I have seen the old PT rot away that was only five to ten years old. I have noticed that the "new" PT has a no ground contact warning on the label now. That kind of defeats the purpose of using it for the sills if you ask me. Hopefully someone with more PT experience will be able to post.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: dry laid foundation #2971 09/19/06 10:09 PM
P
P Smith Offline
P
On the houses/barn homes that I have been involved with or crew uses White Oak sills on top of a stone foundation. However we cut 10" wide (1/2' under the sill width) strips of Ice & Water that is stapled to the bottom of the sill. I should probobly mention that the floor system is temporary supported at its level and final resting place, then the masons finsh the last 1'or so of wall.

I great book Listing rot resistance is Bruce Hoadley's - Understanding Wood. A must read for understanding the properties of wood.

Two years ago I met a guy in western NY who replaced a sill with the wood the client had on his property - Black Cherry! New 30'+ 10"x10" hewn cherry sill - My kind of repair.

Re: dry laid foundation #2972 09/19/06 11:10 PM
M
Mad Professor Offline
M
Other than white oak heartwood cherry has good rot resistance so does black locust.

They used to use chesnut for sills in all the old barns/homes but you can't find that any more.

Re: dry laid foundation #2973 09/20/06 01:26 AM
B
Bob Spoerl Offline
B
PT is a pretty genaric term. There are different treatments for different purposes. All of them require that you research them and discover what the manufacturer says they will do. I use copper napthalate (brushed on) on posts I am setting in the ground...mainly for the insect resistance.
I agree with the statement that it is usually neglect that has brought on the demise of the timber. Protect it from the wet dry cycle and it should last forever.

Re: dry laid foundation #2974 09/21/06 01:27 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi all:

This Copper naphthalate, I wonder how much damage it is doing to the environment, as it leaches out into the water table?, as well as all the other rot retardant products.

NH

Re: dry laid foundation #2975 09/21/06 11:52 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello all. Thanks for the info. The general consensus here seems to be that using a dense ,all heartwood, hardwood(namely white oak,cherry, and black locust) in conjunction with some form of sill sealer is perhaps the ultimate connection, In addition to meticulously making certain to protect the sill and frame from the elements. Right??? I still find it hard to believe that any building inspector would let you knowingly build like this(without pt). Has anyone had any trouble with the codes on this technique? Inmy area the codes are pretty strict(Woodstock,NY), as opposed to the more secluded desolate Western parts of the state. Just curious, Has anyone been able to build on a dry-laid foundation while still abiding to the codes of modern times???

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users