Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
white pine and hemlock for sills? #3078 10/09/06 06:40 AM
T
timber brained Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Anyone have any experience and insight as to using hemlock and white pine for sills. I have some large specimens that I am hoping to supplement my large timber order with and ideally that would mean to use them for my continuous sills, which I could start hewing ,cut joints, and lay down on my foundation long before I even recieve the rest of my timbers. If this is not a good decision I am hoping to then save these long timbers for my continuous top plates. Thanks tb

Re: white pine and hemlock for sills? #3079 10/09/06 10:20 PM
D
Dan Miller Offline
D
White pine heartwood is moderately rot resistant. In the latest issue of Timber Framing, Jack Sobon indicated he used white pine for the sills of his new barn, os that is at least one positive endorsement.

My only experience with hemlock for sills is that my 1820 farm house sits on hemlock sills. They have held up fine, where kept dry. A couple of sections were not, and so had to be repaired. We replaced the rotted (and missing) sections with all-heart white oak.

My first outbuilding sits on white pine sills, but since then (addition and garage and the new workshop currently in progress) I've opted for all-heart white oak.

If your choice for continuous members is either sills or plates, I would opt for continuous plates. I believe if you have to scarf, it is better to scarf your sills rather than your plates. Of course, your architect or engineer will be the final word on this.

Cheers,
Dan

Re: white pine and hemlock for sills? #3081 10/11/06 04:51 AM
T
timber brained Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Dan. It sounds like good advice about using my long continuous members for plates instead and all heart white oak for the sills and just scarf them.At the same time it seems that it would not be a disaster to use pine or hemlock for sills providing they be ample distance from grade, be all heartwood, have superior protection from the outdoor elements, and also good amount of roof overhang, which are all already going to be included in my design regardless of sill species. I am still nervous about scarfing as I have yet to cut one of these joints, but I am sure it is like everything else that takes a little experience to get over the anxiety of it. Derek, I am with you. There are plenty of people like yourself that are well qualified to make the stamp but just dont have the ink. tb

Re: white pine and hemlock for sills? #3082 10/14/06 02:18 AM
P
Pete Ladd Offline
P
I'd be cautious about using Hemlock for any joinery or scarfs, except the most basic kind. It is very "shakey" wood and tends to split off portions of itself very readily.

Some people call it "rot-resistant" but based on my observations I think that is a misconception. It is quite strong however. I often use it for simple purlins and joists, as round poles flattened on the top.

Sills might be the best place for the Hemlock, since simple lap joints might be enough. Save the white pine for the fancy scarfs.

Good luck.

Pete

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users