Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sobon's shed, again #3286 11/08/06 01:41 AM
A
andrew cambo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
greetings everyone, this is my first post on this forum. well, i, like many before me, will soon embark on building the 12x16 shed described in jack sobons book, timber frame construction. my question right now is, can i get away with using 7x7 material, instead of 8x8? i plan to follow jacks advice and square up my joints by cutting down a full inch. that of course would leave me with 6x6 at the joints. strong enough? i think jack himself says the frame is overbuilt. i like the idea of using 8x8, but the mill i work with can cut a 7x7 in one pass. that saves a lot of time, etc. i know you guys are probably tired of talking about the 12x16 shed, but i could use the advice. thanks, andrew

Re: sobon's shed, again #3287 11/08/06 03:27 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
Welcome to the forum. I won't comment on the engineering, I am not qualified, but you don't have to cut it down a full inch. Typically you would undersize to the nearest half inch, depending on the quality of your timbers. In my understanding you would only go down a full inch if there was a large variation in the dimension of the timbers. I am sure there will be someone along shortly to help with sizing issue. What kind of mill are you working with that will only cut 7" at a pass? I am assuming some form of swing blade mill, i.e. a Lucas or Mobile Dimension.

I am also going to be cutting one of these sheds this winter, but I am going to try and lower the overall height, it is a little to large for the location. I will probably shorten the posts above the tie beam, which is what Jack suggested to me. Good luck and stop in often, there are many experienced people here that are happy to help.

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: sobon's shed, again #3288 11/08/06 04:28 PM
G
Greg E Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by andrew cambo:
greetings everyone, this is my first post on this forum. well, i, like many before me, will soon embark on building the 12x16 shed described in jack sobons book, timber frame construction. my question right now is, can i get away with using 7x7 material, instead of 8x8? i plan to follow jacks advice and square up my joints by cutting down a full inch. that of course would leave me with 6x6 at the joints. strong enough? i think jack himself says the frame is overbuilt. i like the idea of using 8x8, but the mill i work with can cut a 7x7 in one pass. that saves a lot of time, etc. i know you guys are probably tired of talking about the 12x16 shed, but i could use the advice. thanks, andrew
What species are you planning for your 7x7s? If a hardwood, I'd say using those with 1/2" gains in the joinery would be no problem.

If pine, you may have some issues.

Remember what you paid for this advice ;-) I am still chipping away on my first shed after 3 years...

Greg

Re: sobon's shed, again #3289 11/08/06 05:02 PM
A
andrew cambo Offline OP
OP Offline
A
yeah greg, i'll be working with doug fir. i'm super motivated to get this shed cut this winter, and have it assembled by memorial day. is that realistic? dave, the mill i work is a mobile dimension 127. the biggest piece i can cut in one pass is 7x12., otherwise i have to turn the log. which isn't a big deal,really, just more time consuming. thanks for the replies

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users