Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Timber frame home in SW Missouri #3707 01/27/07 03:52 PM
D
Dan F Offline
D
There are quite a few TFs out here that travel. I did not get my information into the TFBC in time to be included in this year's Resource Guide. There is only one itinerant listed this year. Most of those I know do some subcontracting for other companies and some independent work for their own clients. As an itinerant,I have put together other itinerants to create a crew of skilled framers for a single job. It's a great way to do a frame. You get to work with the best people, have a good time for a few weeks or months, and then all go on your merry way before you get sick of each other!! Nothing but happy memories until the next time you get together! Another benefit is that anyone skilled and confident enough to do the itinerant thing is usually very worthwhile to have on the job. Good luck.

Re: Timber frame home in SW Missouri #3708 01/30/07 01:20 PM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
Quote:
Originally posted by Derek J Swanger:
Quote:
Originally posted by Raphael D. Swift:
[b]I like the idea of hiring an itinerate timber framer, they are usually more than just a guy who knows how to cut timbers. For my house I was pretty determined to have a hand in cutting my own frame, if I'd known any of the itinerates I've met over the past few years I'd have gone that route.

Between an itinerates experience and your ideas about what you want in a house you should be able to come up with a nice custom frame design for less than hiring a whole company and far less than paying an architect. Then all you'll need is an engineer to stamp the drawings and a sawyer to provide the timbers.

One way to find a sawyer is place a guest request for one on the Forestry Forum.
http://www.forestryforum.com/

Also many of the small sawmill manufacturers website's maintain lists of customers who are available for custom sawing.
I was having some problems getting to that website. Is it available to everyone? I need to find a sawer here in Montana. Derek[/b]
They have a loose cannon filter on that website Derek. I think maybe thats why you can't get in.

Re: Timber frame home in SW Missouri #3709 01/31/07 02:23 AM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
He knows why he can't get in......

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Timber frame home in SW Missouri #3711 02/04/07 03:35 PM
J
johnstudy Offline
J
Looking for a sawyer, you might want to contact:
Wood-Mizer Products, Inc.
8180 West 10th St.
Indianapolis , IN 46214
Tel : 317.271.1542
Toll Free : 1.800.553.0182
Fax : 317.273.1011
Email : infocenter@woodmizer.com

They maintain a list of Custom Sawyers from mills they have sold. Just interview them and see the work they've done in the past. Wood-Mizer is very helpful.

Chris Gunn maintains a website: www.gunnstocktimberframes.com for those of you looking for someone who travels from site to site.

John Study
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users