Print Thread
Rate Thread
retiring my drafting board #3782 01/29/07 04:52 AM
B
Brock Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello All,

I have a 48x72 drafting board and a really small house and would like to learn more about the CAD programs you are using to create drawings.

Where do I start? Any favorite programs for timber drawings?

Thanks everyone,
Cheers,
Brock

Re: retiring my drafting board #3783 01/29/07 11:52 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Brock,

it depends on what you are looking for. Is a simple CAD program that draws line by line enough or do you prefer automated drafting programs? And of course how big is your budget?

There seem to be quite a few guys on this Forum that are using Timbercad. I do not know anything about it but they seem to mostly like it.
Then there are the high priced programs that let you do virtually anything from drafting, shop drawings, 3D visualisations, estimating, stick framing, timber framing, log homes or any other type of construction. With these programs instead of drawing ,a rafter for example, line by line you type in the dimensions of the rafter, pitch, overhang...and then you "install" it onto the roof after which you can profile the rafters if needed....
It depends on your budget in the end and how fancy a program you are lokking for.

Re: retiring my drafting board #3784 01/29/07 12:14 PM
D
Dan F Offline
D
If you've never done any CAD work, I would offer for your consideration: take a CAD class or two at your local community college. Incidentally, Timbercad is a 'tool kit' that works as an add-on to AutoCAD. The pros and cons of the various types of drawing software for timber framing depend largely on what you'll be doing with it and what your budget is. Good luck.

Re: retiring my drafting board #3785 01/29/07 02:48 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Hi Brock,
I have a Mac so my choices were limited. I have been very happy using Vectorworks (for Mac or Windows). For the price of AutoCad you can buy Vectorworks and a new Powerbook! Easy to use and export files to other formats. 3D drawing is set up using working planes that are just like reference planes in square rule, so drawing timberframes is a snap. Tom

Vectorworks

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: retiring my drafting board #3786 01/29/07 04:01 PM
B
Brock Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies.

Of course, a budget is always a concern, and I'm still a little numb after learning about the price of AUTOCAD 2007. I don't think I'll be needing such a whizbang program.

My requirements from the program might include floor plans, kitchen plans, and of course, timber drawings.

Are there other programs out there, or perhaps an older version of AUTOCAD, that can produce 3d drawings in a user friendly format, for lets say, half the price of AUTOCAD MAYA?

thanks,
Brock

Re: retiring my drafting board #3788 01/29/07 06:34 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I picked up a copy of AutoCAD 2000 dirt cheap and installed the TimberCAD front end, it looks really handy but I've yet to take the time to learn my way around AutoCAD 2000. This past few years I've devolved from the 60" drafting board to graph paper on the breakroom table at work.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: retiring my drafting board #3789 01/29/07 09:59 PM
F
FJC Offline
F
Where are some good places to pick up AutoCad 2000?

Re: retiring my drafting board #3790 01/30/07 05:30 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
Generally speaking the best prices are from OEMs who specialize in hardware but stock some of the popular software titles. They tend to sell off old titles very cheap.
AutoCAD 2000 might be to old for them to still have laying around (it's practically abandonware)so your best bet may be eBay or wait another month or two for AutoCAD 2006 to drop in price (but double check the TimberCAD board here and make sure there aren't issues with installation).
If you have computer shows come through your area that's another good place to pick up old software titles.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: retiring my drafting board #3791 01/30/07 01:15 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
I agree with Raphael. Call some of the dealers and find out if they have any "bargains" that might work for you. I just bought a program that would normally be a fairly high priced software for a fair price because of their year end sale. Definitely worth making a few calls.

One thing I care about are frequent updates to the program. So I would not recommend buying anything that only gets updated or replaced every so many years. Customer service is great to have , too, if you ever have a problem or questions.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users