Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wood for pegs? #4473 07/24/03 04:44 PM
S
Stan Debick Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Would cherry be an acceptable wood to use for pegs? I am cutting a frame out of white pine, and would like to use cherry pegs to provide some contrast and highlight the joinery. The plan that I am using calls for oak pegs, but I wasn't sure if this was just the "usual" wood that folks used. Does it have to be oak, or can I use cherry?

Re: Wood for pegs? #4474 07/25/03 01:32 PM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
Oak pegs are normally used because of their shear strength. Hickory and iron wood are also strong pegs. To use cherry they would have to be strong enough for the joinery, of which I'm not sure, you'd have to calculate the loads for your particular frame joinery.

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233
Re: Wood for pegs? #4475 07/25/03 10:26 PM
Joe Miller Offline
The strength of pegs in joinery is directly related to the peg specific gravity. A peg that is less dense will be less strong and less stiff than something that is more dense, so cherry would be expected to be less desirable from a strength standpoint.

Re: Wood for pegs? #4476 07/31/03 02:16 AM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
I used to think that cherry would make a good peg but since tearing into older buildings I am convinced that the harder woods with rot resistance make the best candidates for pegs. It would be tempting to design pegs to the task with medium hardness woods. Increase the common peg radius in .125 in. increments, calculate cross section area and be amazed by a significant gain of fiber and strength.

The problem with that approach lies in the lack of hardness. Pegs are always in the pinch and most every peg in an old building will bear some compression set and very often plastic deformation. In my area I see mostly oak and black locust pegs, my impression is that the harder locust suffers less damage and rot than oak. I would be very concerned that softer wood than oak will suffer compression set from first draw boring and later from load cycling and moisture cycling. Once compression failure occurs the fiber is forever compromised, and a path to progressive failure is opened.

If you want something different than oak or locust try looking for osage orange or persimmon they have dry specific gravities of .85 and .78 and rot resistance to match locust.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users