Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
White Ash TF #4479 08/18/03 08:17 PM
M
Mike L Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I've purchased a piece of property in Maine which has a large amount of tall / straight white ash trees. I'd like to timber frame my house and was wondering if anyone knows how white ash would work.

Re: White Ash TF #4480 08/19/03 01:09 AM
M
Mark L Surnoskie Offline
M
I just finished reassembling a barn that had ash posts throughout. The barn was almost 100 years old. Dry, it was hard to re-work but green it works like oak. I'm using ash to build a shop next year. It has been attacked by something that ate all the leaves off so is dying. No use letting it go to waste!

Mark Surnoskie
TIMBERWOLFTREE
Pembroke, ON
K8A 7P4
613-732-0233
Re: White Ash TF #4481 08/19/03 01:27 PM
M
Mike L Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your response. Before I commit to using the ash I'd really like to hear some more feedback from anyone else who might have either used white ash or seen buildings made from it. I do not have a large amount of timber framing knowledge and I'm concerned with spending the time and money framing out a structure with white ash and finding out 20 years down the road I have a problem with decay, excessive splitting, ...or any other problems that may occur.

Re: White Ash TF #4482 08/19/03 04:48 PM
G
Greg E Offline
G
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike L:
I've purchased a piece of property in Maine which has a large amount of tall / straight white ash trees. I'd like to timber frame my house and was wondering if anyone knows how white ash would work.
I don't think you typically find ash in old frames and barns. There is probably good reason for that. The old timers knew what they were doing?!

Secondly I've heard - at least with dimensional lumber applications, that bugs really go after ash.

Since your application is intererior of a house, the bug issue may not be a big deal as opposed to an outside structure.

Lastly ash I recall tends to be rather gamely when drying in terms of distortion. Keep that in mind when the timbers are drying and being worked. Sealing ends and keeping timbers out of the sun as much as possible should help control that somewhat.

Just my amateur 2 cents. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Greg

Re: White Ash TF #4483 08/19/03 10:30 PM
Joe Miller Offline
From my limited experience, I've found white ash to be very similar to white oak. It works well green, is fairly strong, shrinks almost as much (not quite, but close).

However, it is much more susceptible to rot and insect damage. Hence why you probably don't see it around much in buildings.

Re: White Ash TF #4484 08/20/03 12:52 PM
C
Christopher Hoppe Offline
C
In my experience ash has very limited decay resistance. In a protected interior application it should be fine. My daughter's school has beautiful millwork in ash that holds up well to the inherent abuse of that setting.

Re: White Ash TF #4485 08/27/03 01:33 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello mike and others:

Just thought that I would put in my 2 cents worth.
Over the years and the examination of many old structures that includes barns, drivesheds, and mills, I have seen ash used in a number of cases, and mixed up with other types of wood in the same structure.
I agree that ash is very strong, and in one driveshed that I reproduced it was completely framed with white ash, and seemed in good shape even after 200 years. I reproduced it using white ash, and one feature that seemed to make it stand out was the size of the posts, beams and girts, being smaller in cross section than other drivesheds that I had worked on. after the raising of the frame it looked very neat yet strong if you know what I mean.
One mill that I am familiar with used white ash predominantly in the original framing, and being around water (moisture) the powder post beatles were quite a problem and had to be continually monitored for activity.
If it is used in a dry environment I believe that it would make a very strong frame. It is much like oak to work with green, but watch out when it dries--ouch!!
NH

Re: White Ash TF #4486 08/27/03 04:47 PM
M
Mike L Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thank you to everyone for your information. Looks like I will give the white ash a shot.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users