Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
apprentice employment #10050 02/16/06 02:51 PM
P
Paul McCarroll Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am soon to begin a 3 month TF apprenticeship. Will I be able to get an actual job and continue the learning process? And make a living be it ever so humble?

Paul McCarroll
Re: apprentice employment #10051 02/17/06 05:21 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Like the 5 fingers on one hand which you should still have when you finish if you pay attention.
1. Does your employer embrace and follow the guidelines ?
2. Do you listen and try the techniques ?
3. Do you learn by your errors ?
4, Do you ask questions ?
5. Are you proud of your work ?
This handful is a never ending loop and might even be a mantra you are comfortable with.
work safe, have fun.
So I don't forget, your future employability is mostly based on your record as an apprentice.
And yes, if you are stubborn be nice about it.
deralte

Re: apprentice employment #10052 02/28/06 11:13 PM
Will B Offline
Paul,
Besides Emmet's good advice, I think it depends on a few other things:
Who is the Apprenticeship with? The timber framing community is tightly knit and the company you train with needs to have a good reputation and do things in a similar manner as the new company your going to seek work fropm. There are no standards. Find out what previous apprentices are doing now (get recommendations).
Also, nothing can substitute for a good work ethic, leadership qualities, and ability to problem solve and be self motivated. Many companies are willing to re-train you to their specific requirements even if you learn at someplace that does things very differently, but they DON'T want to teach you how to work and be a responsible employee.
There is lots of work out there. Expect to start at $10-15 an hour and reach a ceiling of $35 an hour (or so). Do make any more than that you would need to move into company management, project management, design or start your own company.
Oh, and remain a Guild member!
Good luck.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Will B 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users