Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10078 10/20/05 12:10 AM
B
Bob Grimes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Chris, I am relocating to Big Island Hawaii as soon as my Michigan Farm/Home sells. I want to build a Pavillion on our Hawaii land and LOVE the Asian influenced roof designs, Korean and or Japanese. I attended Heartwood this summer for 1 week TF and a 2wk homebuilder class. I am wondering if you or someplace else you know of may have plans, or drawings of a simple asian open pavillion, or similar if my naming is off. We need a roof to have some dry space to gather, eat, relax, play music etc...
I will eventually build a TF Home on our 5 acres, but currently my wife has been tenting it for 4 MONTHS!! We have a sun-shade fabric 10' x 20; up over the camp now. I am headed there in Nov for 10 days and then again in Dec for 16 days. Hoping to get up a simple structure while there. I guess I just wonder if there is a set of plans or could I see a few pics or drawings of similar to inspire or guide me in this adventure. My wife is from Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia and I am a longtime student of Eastern studies and Martial Arts. I have building skills, but am not a super math genious. I am rambling to give the best idea of who I am and what I may have in the way of skill sets and ideas running wild in my head. I may go with a traditional thatch roof, or maybe raised seam steel for now and then thatch as I can afford it. We have access to Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus Robusta) as well as to some Ohia logs. This struture does not have to pass a Japanese traditional inspection, but I hope it gives the flavor of Asia to some degree and sets a meditative mood to those who approach and enjoy it's shelter. Thinking of maybe 15'x20' or so...and ideas, thoughts or...Thanks in advance, Bobby G laugh

Bobby Grimes
Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10079 10/20/05 01:57 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
hi Bob,

I thank you for you post and infectious enthusiasm! There are no commercially available plans for what you are looking for - an 'azumaya' is perhaps the closest Japanese equivalent to a pavillion, though they are not canvas roofed.
If you want to do a curved hip roof, or more complex, you may be biting off more than you can chew - and more than your time frame would suggest. If you would be happy to have a flat-planed roof, then I could drum up some pictures for you. Here's one to be going on with:

And here's another:

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Regards,

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10080 10/20/05 02:36 AM
B
Bob Grimes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Chris, thanks for the great reply!! I am fired up, no doubt!! Enthusiasm is my thing. Any chance for a few more pics of the "here's another" or second picture you sent? Or if it is in a book, maybe I can go and get a coffee at Border's books and peruse it there?
Ideas? Bobby G

Sure wish your workshops were in my schedule and budget, but rest assured, I will attend your workshops in the future. Probably a few years off, but time flies!!

Bobby Grimes
Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10081 10/20/05 02:58 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Hi Bobby,

I found that picture on the web by doing a search of Japanese pages under 'azumaya' (written in Japanese characters) - so I can't refer you to a book for further pictures, and that picture was the only one on the page.
If you can find any books on Japanese gardens, you may be able to come across a picture of an azumaya, but I can't think of any titles in particular to refer ypu towards. Sorry!
There are some books in Japanese that I have which have drawings of designs for Azumaya, but those books are not available except from Japan - and they are in Japanese anyway, which i will assume you don't read. I'd send you a picture or two from the one I have, but unfortunately that book is in storage back in B.C. and I am currently in the Eastern US.
Thanks for your interest in the workshops . There is something scheduled for Spring in Seattle as far as what is upcoming. It will be a two week class.
Do you have the skills currently to frame a hipped roof? I'm afraid you will need to deal with a bit of mathematics for that, or have facility with descriptive geometry.
If you want something quick and durable for 10-20 years, requiring no math or geometry, then you might want to consider a wired-pole structure. There was an old Fine homebuilding with an article on that from many years ago. I've done it - it just involves learning how to do a simple knot with wire to lash timbers together. If the timbers shrink, the wire knots can be readily tightened. It's an idea.

Chris

Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10082 10/20/05 10:34 PM
B
Bob Grimes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Chris, once again your energy, genuine care and help has made my day! Thanks on all fronts, Bobby

Bobby Grimes
Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10083 10/22/05 05:03 AM
T
Tyson Offline
T
Bob,
This is bigger than what you probably want (and probably a little more complex) but the September 2002 (number 65) TIMBER FRAMING Journal has the Korean Ambassadors pavilion in it. It has some great detailed drawings, and if nothing else it is very inspiring!

Tyson

Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10084 10/23/05 04:28 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
pole building with wire can be very creative and makes a natural looking building, too.
I built a small workshop in this manner 20 years ago, and the frame has stood the test of time so far. There's ample natural curves out in the forest and this method makes it easy to use them.

Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10085 10/23/05 12:47 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
That article I mentioned is in Fine Woodworking #29, July 1981, and is titled "Pole-and-wire Joinery, the Quick Way to Build".

Chris

Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10086 10/23/05 04:35 PM
B
Bob Grimes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks to all who have responded with encouragement, advice and knowledge. I sure do appreciate it. If you are ever in Hawaii, stop by Paauilo Mauka and ask around for Bob & Ming Wei (Way). We are at 1700' elevation above the Post Office... they will all know where to point... :p

Mahalo,Bob...

Bobby Grimes
Re: WOW THIS IS COOL!! Thanks Chris! #10087 10/24/05 12:34 AM
B
Bob Grimes Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Chris and all others, here is a cool picture I found searching this topic.
http://www.sketchup.com/forum/download.php/3,6279/CurvedAzumaya4b.jpg Author is Joe Wood.. at
http://www.sketchup.com/forum/read.php?f=3&i=19662&t=19662

-Bob

Bobby Grimes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users