Dear all,

Seven days ago (9th Jan) I arrived in Kyoto (Oubaku to be precise) at the timber engineering centre here. I am here on a 5 month research fellowship studying the engineering design of Japanese carpentry.

Previously I completed a PhD in the UK developing design guidelines and theories for traditional green oak timber frames in the UK connected with pegged mortice and tenon. Through this research I learnt a great deal about the behvaiour of braced frames or frames with stiff in-fill panels. It is this which I will investigate here in Japan. Specifically, traditional Japanese timber frames with relatively stiff earth infill panels. These panels cause the mortice and tenon to fail by 'pull-out', or 'tension parallel to the tenon and perp. to the peg axis'. This behaviour is also the primary failure mode of knee or arched-bracde frames in the UK.

I am very interested in opening up the topic to discussion. Esp. to people familiar with Japanese carpentry. The project has just begun, as such is fairly flexible in its direction. It will undoubtably contain physical testing here in the labs at Kyoto University.

Is anyone familiar with any practicing traditonal carpenters here in Japan. Ideally English speaking - or even better, is one of you currently over here working? i can travel anywhere in Japan if needs be.

Thank you in advance for any interest. I look forward to your comment and apologies as I seemed to have posted this in a few places - sorry!

Jon Shanks

Cheers

Jon Shanks - UK timber engineer in Kyoto