Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
seasoning timbers in my basement #1009 07/23/04 11:20 AM
M
Michel Dube Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Would it not seem like an easy way to accelerate the drying process? Warm and dry. No breese. Gentle fan? Smell nice? Bugs? Seal the ends? Comments for advantages and disadvantages are welcomed. Havn't seen any literature on this.

Re: seasoning timbers in my basement #1010 07/23/04 11:07 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Most timber frames are put up "green".
The drier wood gets the harder it gets.
Drying timbers in a basement means they'll be harder to work on to cut joints.
Outside in normal air it takes one inch in thickness per year to dry wood, how much are you going to improve on that putting them into a basement for a short period of time?
Drying timbers first, when the ends are not secure in a frame, allows them to bend, bow, twist and distort in all kinds of ways that holding them in place in a frame by the ends prevents.
The factors that increase drying rates are temperature and relative humidity. If you put your timbers in your basement and then turn on a "gentle fan" all you're going to do is saturate the basement air with moisture. Once that air is saturated all drying will stop, until the air is drier then the wood again, then the moisture will start moving out of the wood into the air again. Where is all the moisture in the air in your basement going to go? Into everything in your basement, into all your belongings and fixtures. All your water pipes will condense water on them and it will drip onto everything.
If you want to put your timbers in your basement, you better put a dehumidifier down there as well as a relative humidity meter. This way you can tell how dry the air is.
There is lots of information out there about such things.
You can go to sites like WoodWeb and search their knowledge base. Or post the same question on the Saw-milling and Drying forum.

You can go to a site like Forestry Forum and post your question on their Drying forum.

Good luck with your research.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: seasoning timbers in my basement #1011 07/24/04 01:54 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
there's a good section on curing and seasoning timbers in "the timberframer's workshop"....available at
www.foxmaple.com
one advantage i could see with bringing timbers under a roof is to get them out of the rain and sun, however i do agree that if you bring them into a house then a dehumidifier may be wise (the timbers will only smell nice if they don't mold) and yes, sealing the end grain is generally a good way to go.
If you have stored fresh wood in your basement before with success then the timbers may also do well.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users