Print Thread
Rate Thread
apprenticeship info #10118 03/13/06 02:35 PM
T
twistedbydesign Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey Chris,

Im in the middle of an apprenticeship, and I would very much like to find a place where I can begin studies in Japanese Carpentry. It seems to be the one thing you cannot find on the internet. If you feel generous enough could you point me in a direction.

Thank You.

Re: apprenticeship info #10119 03/13/06 02:42 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Hello 'twistedbydesign',

I am teaching a couple of 2 week courses in Japanese Carpentry this May and June at the Heartwood School in W. Massachusetts. I'm not sure if there are spaces left at this point, but you could check out the Heartwood website and give them a call. We're going to be building a small belltower, so the course is an introduction to Japanese compound joinery. I've also been writing a series of articles on that for the TF Journal, so you may wish to take a gander at those.

There has been another workshop scheduled for Banbridge Island for this summer, but I have no idea when or if it will go ahead - Guild Memeber Mr. Buday would be the contact for that.

Outside of those two poosibilities, i'm not aware of anything else at this point.

Regards,

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: apprenticeship info #10120 03/15/06 03:08 AM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
If you happen to be heading towards San Francisco/Oakland, California, then Jay van Arsdale teaches a great, and very affordable (like $35/semester) Saturday class at Laney Community College in Oakland. I took classes with him for 2 years, and would still be if I hadn't moved across the country. Chris' classes (see above) are super great as well. And if you're in Ontario, I'm pretty sure there's a fairly well known Japanese-trained timber framer somewhere in Ontario. I forget his name though (Chris?? Works with Ian??).

Brad

Re: apprenticeship info #10121 03/15/06 03:23 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
That's Michael LaFlamme you're referring to TW. I don't believe he does classes though, or has apprentices, but you never know. I haven't spoken to him in over a year, so I should really touch base with him soon.

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: apprenticeship info [Re: Chris Hall] #11316 05/01/07 05:58 PM
G
Greenwood Offline
G
Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
That's Michael LaFlamme you're referring to TW. I don't believe he does classes though, or has apprentices, but you never know. I haven't spoken to him in over a year, so I should really touch base with him soon.

Chris

Hi Chris.
I would be interested in talking to Michael. I live in Ontario.
Do you have contact info for him?
Thanks.
Mike

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users