Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Marking and Layout #10122 07/10/06 01:43 PM
R
rgurney Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Although, I am a furniture-maker, I am interested in what kind of layout techniques you use.

For example, do you use pencils, marking knives, sumisashi, and/or sumitsubo? I've seen both Frank Klausz and Isao Inomoto use pencils with great results.

Do you use layout rods? I'm experimenting with using a trammel with two or three heads on it to mark out my key dimensions. I only need two or three (say, for the drawer stretchers, top and bottom of leg) and the rest are a result of those key lines .

What techniques do you use that are universal and think can be applied to furniture or other woodworking? Since you are making large-scale furniture in a manner of speaking?

Regards,

Robert

Re: Marking and Layout #10123 07/10/06 07:22 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Hi Robert,

did you also post this question on the Japanese tools forum? I've been a bit busy of late and have fallen behind on a number of things.

Layout..I use a sumitsubo, string line, and plumb bob to develop reference lines. If I want to be really fussy, i use the sting line and mark from it with a 5mm mech. pencil, and then connect the marks with a good straightedge.

I tend to lay out exclusively with a 5mm mech. pencil, save for my Starret compass, to which I have attached a 3mm mechanical pencil. I find 5mm to be a good combination of hardiness and fineness of line.

Once I have got my layout marks, and checked it (hopefully more than once!), I knife the cross grain sections and use a kama-kebiki marking gage to score lines parallel to grain (not always). For timber frame work, I will also make a story pole, kensao, and develop complex layout full scale on 3mm door skin panels - the gen-sun as it is called. I also use a trammel extensively if i am building furniture with repetitive modules at set distances from one another - the trammel is held at that setting for the duration of the project.

I use MDF extensively for templates.

I know some furniture makers use layout poles, but I don't. There's no reason why not - it's a good idea actually - just not my habit at this point.

I tend to scribble a lot of notes and calculations on sketch pads as well.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Marking and Layout #10124 07/10/06 08:37 PM
R
rgurney Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Chris,

I did ask the question on the Japanese Tools Forum but haven't been getting any answers there.

I will also be attending your seminar on timber framing at the Shizutani School next month and will no doubt be a thorn in your side asking all kinds of questions. Beware!

Using a story pole doesn't seem required when creating one-off furniture. I like the trammel idea because I find it a bit dangerous holding four legs of a table together and marking across them with a square. If one leg is out of parallel you may get wrong readings on the other three.

The board used to hold the trammel points can act as a crude story pole.

By using a trammel you can lay out some key lines which may not necessarily be marked. For instance you may mark the height of a stetcher but it isn't knifed. Therefore, you could be off the width of a pencil line. What would be knifed is the location of the mortise for example. However, the location of a drawer stretcher is really important. My feeling is that the only really crucial part of furniture layout would be the drawer heights and widths. Evertyhing else in furniture-making has built-in adjustments.

Sorry to digress from the purpose of this forum, I just wanted to stir up some kind of talk and hear what your forum member's views are.

Regards,

Robert Gurney

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users