Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10277 01/19/06 06:42 PM
S
Steve Lawrence Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Welcome one and all to a new forum about axe throwing.
As you may or may not know there is an axethrowing competition planned for the Western Conference at Parksville, BC. It is hoped that this will become a regular event at Guild conferences.
As the organiser of the competition I have asked for this forum as a place where folk can ask questions about where to get axes, swap tips, trash talk each others skills with an axe; yeah really!!
I'll be competing and admit to being moderately good but I'm concerned that for me to win might be considered bad manners! So get practising and help me avoid the embarasment of running off with the trophy. There! The furry mitten has been firmly laid down; who will accept the challenge???
Anyway; hopefully we'll have some fun.

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10278 01/19/06 07:45 PM
M
Mira Jean Steinbrecher, AIA Offline
M
Having tried my hand at axe throwing, I'm wondering if there might be an additional rule promulgated: a nearer Throwing Line for Women. In golf, there's often a 'ladies tee'. That might be appropriate here as well.

Proposed Assumptions & Calculations:
Men's Throwing Line = 20'
Man = 6'-0" tall
Woman = 5'-6" tall
Proportion (5.5/6) = 92%
92% x 20' = 18'-4"
Assumed Handicap for Differentially Distributed
Body Mass = 2'-4"
Women's Throwing Line = 16'

Any other suggestions? wink

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10279 01/20/06 12:38 AM
J
John Buday Offline
J
Maybe we could have an "Ax Catching" event as well

It could be a subject of study under the darwinian building track

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10280 01/20/06 04:53 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
I'm not really into the Axe Throwing, but, hey, I think you're onto something with the Axe Catching!

Talk about Extreme Sports!!

Could we propose a Catching Line for Women as well? :p

*TG

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10281 02/17/06 04:29 PM
S
sparkythetimberframer Offline
S
Yeah, axe throwing...lol...I've tried a few times, I'll be there! Should we bring our own or is the guild going to be supplying a couple? I can bring one if I have to, but I don't want to show up empty handed....and do I know you 'Timber Goddess'...you'll know by my name who I am....Did a stint in Kaslo a little while back. See everyone in Parksville!

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10282 02/17/06 08:44 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
SPARKY!!! YOU FREAK!!!
I've been away from this forum for 3 wks (in MEXICO!) and I just logged in now to see your reply posted no more than an hour ago!
Drop me a line...timber.goddess@gmail.com
So cool to find you here!
And, yes, I'll see you in Parksville if not sooner.
(Carmen was wondering about you as well...)
TG*

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10283 02/18/06 02:25 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi Sparky. My advice would be to bring your own for several reasons.

1. You get to practise before the event thus significantly increasing you chances of winning.

2. Although I think the Guild will have a couple of "communal" axes (never heard of one of them before) there is a chance of snapped handles when in the hands of newbies. Too (two?) many of those and the fun will come to a halt. And no; you can't use mine!

3. You get to own another axe, and a very nice one at that; cool!

Any one of these is reason enough to go axe shopping, but added together the weight of logic is irresistable, I think you'll agree.

I believe Lee Valley are quite reasonable for throwing axes and easy to deal with. Long term you will be able to buy Gransfors axes from the guild but not quite yet.

See you in Parksville wink

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10284 02/19/06 12:20 AM
S
sparkythetimberframer Offline
S
Oy Oy! All questions answered! Great! The axe will be purchased in the coming hours...there's a Lee Valley within a 5 min walk from here...not sure if that's a good thing yet, let me check my bank account, lol! Hopefully no hassle with the airplane, I fly from Ontario in 2 weeks.

I knew that was you Christine! Awesome! I've sent an e-mail Dwights way, seeing if he's got anymore room...I miss you guys too much! Say hi to everyone, maybe send me some peoples emails...I have nothing! I'll send an e-mail when I get back from my shopping spree at Lee Valley! Good Peace!

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10285 03/30/06 06:25 PM
S
OP Offline
S
This just in! You can now buy throwing axes and other Gransfors axes from the TFG at great prices.
Just go the the online TFG store or follow this link.
http://store.yahoo.com/tfguild/grnsforsaxes.html

Re: New Forum - Axethrowing - Wow!! #10286 09/18/06 11:32 AM
S
sadsack Offline
S
found your site while browsing around the net and glad i did good site.
I am a member of an axethrowing team in Scotland/UK we go by the name Axealba.
we just started it for the fun and got quite good at it and still having fun outdoors.
there are only a few competition events here with the british championship every two years this years event takes place this weekend.
would like to hear about your competitions and rules of engagement as it were cheers Owen

owen meharry
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users