Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Biz start-up questions #1036 09/01/04 01:53 PM
H
hopeful Offline OP
OP Offline
H
First let me say how impressed I am with the attitude of this forum! My husband and I are in the process of starting a Timber Frame company and have many questions however, it can be tough to find the answers. The posts I've read have been nothing but encouraging and helpful. And, I think it's safe to say, that you all support new businesses starting up and are willing to assist fellow Timber Framers in any way you can which lives up to the repuatation of the Timber Framing community. It's great to be a part of this! Thank you in advance for all your time and help!

I'm in the midst of a biz plan for a small to medium size company. We will offer our clients any Timber Frame structure as well as some fine wood working components ie-doors, mantels. Now I'm wondering about insurance (cost, coverage). What type of insurance will we need? Can anyone refer any companies. I'm in Canada (Ontario) by the way.

My husband is the crafter...I'm the business side and don't have too much Timber Framing experience, but I'm learning quickly...and LOVE it! So please excuse me if I post some head shakers...ha!

Thanks again for all your help.
Hopeful

Re: Biz start-up questions #1037 09/01/04 02:56 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
where in ontario are you?
we are near peterboro...
-Mark Davidson
www.wpltree.ca

Re: Biz start-up questions #1038 09/01/04 04:30 PM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
Dear Hopeful,

Good luck with your adventure. I'm in Virginia so I'm not sure how pertinent any of my advice will be.

My wife and I own a small TF business, specializing in custom homes with organic touches. We hold a $2 million liability policy and a comprehensive manufacturing policy. After being in business for a number of years, a casual conversation with our agent pointed out two things: standard liability covers only damage you do to others. For example, if during a raising, you drop a bent on a delivery truck delivering windows, your policy would cover the cost to repair the truck and replace the windows. The dropped and broken bent is not covered. In another example, a finished frame is stacked in your yard waiting to be delivered when it is destroyed by unknown vandals. While a standard comprehensive policy will cover the cost to replace the wood, your labor is not covered. For us, that represents the vast part of total value.

As I said, our situation and laws may be different. You need to find an agent that handles other builders as clients and is willing to talk with you about your specific situation. Walk through your operation with your agent, maybe even bringing him or her to your shop. As the insurance industry faces smaller profits, they are writing fewer new policies and hiding more exclusions.

It is probably still possible to find insurance but the search here has become exponentially more difficult.

Good luck,
Bob

Re: Biz start-up questions #1039 09/01/04 04:40 PM
H
hopeful Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks for your insight Bob. I'll be sure to focus on the exclusions and try to cover all angles. It's important to think of every worse case scenario, isn't it.
Thanks again,
Hopeful

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users