Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
wintering cut timber #1046 09/07/04 08:15 PM
J
Jim Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi: I am Jim from Vermont. (do they stay or do they go now)

I cut some soft and hard maple 2 winters ago. Logs were off of ground on landing for 1 year, This past winter I had them sawn for a timber frame studio / gallery I am planning. The logs were pit in center cut. I am near done cutting the joinery. I have planed all and kerf cut the hidden side of appropriate timbers, resealed ends and applied a wood preservative followed weeks later by a 50 / 50 linseed oil and thinners mix. The wood preservative (TWP) was applied due to some small amounts of mold found on a few pieces and the fact that the frame may be exposed for a while until the roof is finished. The timbers were never in the sun and are always on stickers. I did my best to get air circulation to them. We are having a extremely wet spring and summer and timbers low in the stack have suffered slightly. The timbers are very stable, so far with little to no checking, or bending /bowing etc. I'm thinking the high humidity has provided slow drying conditions. Due to the very wet conditions I am delayed in the completion of the foundation and other site work.
Questions: Do I dare wait until spring for the raising? I am running out of time and don't want the stress of completing before winter and a hurried job.. I am concerned that the low humidity of winter will cause much faster drying resulting in checks and timber movement. Will the timbers freeze which will retard drying or if they freeze will it create added stresses? I have some control on their environment this winter as the finished timbers are on stickers and have filled most of my garage / work shop. Given the amount of work I have into these timbers and their beauty I want to do the right thing. If it comes down to it I could bear the cold and snow and work through winter.( burr). I have a day job so winter work would be weekends and take some vacation. I do plan on hiring some help for some bent assembly through structure closed in as I want to minimize the exposure to elements time.
I have enjoyed this project, partly because I was not major schedule driven.

Do I push to get it done? Any advise on cut timber storage over a Vermont winter?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Jim Covino
Re: wintering cut timber #1047 09/08/04 09:44 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Jim:
Can you explain about the wood preservative (TWP) and what it is? How you used it? and applied it?
Where you got it? And any other details you can about it. Sounds interesting.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: wintering cut timber #1048 09/09/04 08:57 PM
J
Jim Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Jim: TWP (total wood preservative) is a outdoor above ground product. It was recommended from a quality independent paint store. I am not trying to sell it and will let you know what happens down the road. I told them I needed something that prevents decay, mildew and water damage allows moisture to come out of wood (allows drying) yet won't let water in. It needs to slow down wood from drying too quickly and can apply other oil type finishes over it. It does not leave a surface finish, it's a transparent penetrating stain, preservative. I got the "clear" color. . I indicated my timbers would be exposed for a while as I constructed bents to when I closed in building. Soft maple heart wood is prone to decay so I wanted something to protect it. I used a paint brush to apply to all surfaces and loaded my kerf cut on hidden side of timbers with it. I only put one coat on. One thing I can tell you is that you need good ventilation when you apply it as your eyes sure tear. I have some concerns of possible fumes while inside but figured I need the protection an have covered the TWP with linseed. They also said a large timber framer in area uses tons a watco urethane mix as a finish product some time after the structure closed in. I will put something on for my final finish.
I just fond this url on web http://www.coastalsealants.com/site/621476/product/1

Jim

Jim Covino
Re: wintering cut timber #1049 09/10/04 11:58 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Jim:
Thanks that was just the information I was looking for.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users