Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
not pegging additional supports #10983 04/08/07 03:13 AM
T
timber brained Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a tie below the plate(one and a half foot post extension)frame design of 20' by 30' with 4 bents,10' bays and 20 'clear spans. I was thinking to frame the end bents with additional support posts(one or two) for the 20' tiebeams, but was thinking to use unpegged , housed stub tenons into both the sill beam and the tie beam , so as not to weaken the dimension of the beams with large mortises and peg holes but still have enough to keep secure connection and provide support for the tie beams. Is this common? How do the studs typically frame into the main timber frame?Pegged usually? Does this sound like a good idea or is it wrong to not peg them and tenon them further into their connecting members? Is it just that more and more I am learning that overly tightened, overpegged, and perfectly cut joints are not necessarily superior to some of the looser examples we find in some long lived timber frames, where the frames are almost allowed to "stretch" a bit with time. I hear some say they dont peg their braces as the dont work well in tension anyhow. Would not the same be true in this case as well or should these stout studs be pegged ?. Anyway, if anyone has some input I would like to hear what you think? tb

Re: not pegging additional supports [Re: timber brained] #10986 04/08/07 07:31 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi TB,

Good question and not one that is easy to answer without figuring out whether your extra studs are actually contributing in some significant way to the structural peformance of the frame. It is not uncommon to see short wall studs simply being nailed into place to provide a nailer surface to attach and support siding or to act as a spacer to stiffen infill materials.

Regards

Ken Hume
http://www.kfhume.freeserve.co.uk

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: not pegging additional supports [Re: Ken Hume] #10988 04/08/07 12:39 PM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Timberbrained,

I do not think that if you pegged those (extra?) studs into the tie beam it would loose significantly in strength. It is supported by those studs so how can it be weaker? In a traditional German frame everything is pegged. Just look at how many m&t you find there. And they are very strong. The more members are installed the less has each member to carry since the load is distributed more evenly.
I do not think the tension problematic that was being dicussed with braces comes into play here. Not as severe anyway. The studs would only be on tension if there was any uplift on the structure. So then again if they were pegged they would help hold everything together rather then relying on just a few posts being pegged.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users