Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints #4126 03/30/07 12:13 PM
B
BWeiser Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks again, Jim, for taking time out of your schedule to get lost while trying to find our house and still have the patience to answer my questions and take a look at the issues. My wife and I really appreciate it.

We did take issue with the lag bolts at the time of construction and the timberframer was surprised that we actually had a clue about what a timberframe was. He then started spouting BS to the effect of building codes and snow loads and other garbage to justify him using lag bolts.

However, at that point, the frame was 2/3 up, we were in a construction loan time frame, and didn't feel like we had much leverage to make them do it right because it would have required a complete redesign of the frame to make the joints work without the lag bolts. Lesson learned. So, when I found these pegs, my wife had to peel me off the ceiling. It appalled me that these guys had the audacity to do this peg cover up after we had already confronted them about the lagbolts.

I do plan to make the builder aware of this issue, now that I have a professional, third-party opinion to back me up so I can filter what they try to tell me. But, to reinforce what Jim said, I really have no interest in lawsuits--I just want our frame to be correct. I grew up on a farm with many timberframed barns so I know what can be achieved through this craft. To take shortcuts on a house frame disappoints me. I definitely should have done more homework before picking the builder.

I don't know if it's kosher or not, but I'd be more than happy to post the name of the firm if anyone is interested.

Brett

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints #4127 03/30/07 01:24 PM
P
pegs_1 Offline
P
I can't stand it anymore....

Who cut the frame?

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints #4128 03/30/07 02:46 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Thanks for the research into this one, Jim.
I, too, am perplexed at the idea of taking shortcuts like that on a frame. (Ya,ya...I know I run a Hundegger, but structure and quality is Not something we would skimp on)

I personally don't think it's appropriate to post the name of the builder here.
I think that a call from Brett to the Better Business Bureau is probably the way to deal with it. It is likely that this builder is a novice to timber frames and I can only hope that he will learn from this mistake. If, however, he's not a novice, shame on him!
Do it right, Buddy! Word of mouth travels a long way these days!

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: ] #10891 04/02/07 01:29 PM
B
BWeiser Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sorry for the delay in responding . . . I am typically off computers every weekend. I can see both sides to the "post/don't post" argument, which is why I made the offer instead of just posting the name of the firm.

Prior to further considering informing others of the firm's name, I will first take steps to deal with this issue with them. Then, if that does not work, I will go to the BetterBusiness Bureau in the company's home state and lodge a complaint.

And no, they are not new kids on the block.

Also, I don't view it as "tattling". That belittles the impact of what this firm did with our timberframe. They are selling a product and not delivering what they sell. A timberframe is a major investment of both time and money on the part of the owner. Not to mention I and my wife poured countless hours into the project ourselves over the course of two years and we still are finishing bits and pieces. A house is not a plaything.

If it proves to be necessary, I feel that divulging the name of the firm would be fair warning to other possible customers that should not find what I found. You trust a firm to build your house correctly and when they betray that trust, what is left of their reputation?

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: ] #10907 04/03/07 12:22 PM
B
BWeiser Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'll update this thread with anything new in case you good people are interested. I appreciate the feedback and help I've received so far.

Thank you,

Brett

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: BWeiser] #11044 04/11/07 01:52 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Brett,

I hope for your sake and for the sake of all of us who do this that these people make it right.

Good luck finishing your house.

Gabel

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: Gabel] #11165 04/18/07 02:40 PM
brad_bb Offline
Funny how my last response that was within this topic is now missing?...where I talked about why the name should be posted...Hmmmm...was it edited out?

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: brad_bb] #11168 04/18/07 08:45 PM
Will Truax Offline

That’s a bit of a grand assertion isn’t it ?

Is it not possible you posted to the defunct forum after this new one was set up, but before the redirect was made right ?

This is the Guild forum, not Deeley Plaza, there are no grassy knolls here.

Stuff happens.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: brad_bb] #11170 04/19/07 02:55 AM
M
Mad Professor Offline
M
Originally Posted By: brad_bb
Funny how my last response that was within this topic is now missing?...where I talked about why the name should be posted...Hmmmm...was it edited out?

+1

Re: Possible faulty timberframe joints [Re: ] #11185 04/20/07 12:38 PM
M
Mad Professor Offline
M
Derek, those posts were deleted. I does not seem to have anything to do with switching to the new forum.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users