Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problems with Doug Fir Timbers [Re: RandyChurchill] #11698 06/01/07 12:01 AM
J
jshaw Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the reply, Randy.

Though I do feel a little bit mislead by the seller here, it's clear to me now that the fault was mine. They didn't deliver what they indicated they would, but I didn't specify any requirements.

As far as SD timbers being stable; that's the primary reason why I bought SD. But what I got were boxed-heart timbers at something like 30% MC..... and that's a long, long way from being stable.

(Really, that's my only beef with the SD folks. If they are going to brag about how stable their product is, they shouldn't deliver dripping-wet boxed-heart timbers.)

My timbers were straight and beautiful the day they arrived. No checks AT ALL. No twist or bow. There was more wane and edge damage than I cared to see, but that alone didn't seem like enough to complain about.

I got a little concerned when I stuck a moisture meter in them. But even then, I didn't see any reason to raise a complaint.

Now, even after careful storage, very few of them are not twisted. The worst of them are twisted nearly 30 degrees end-to-end. Some of the timbers that I laboriously straightened with a hand-held planer have twisted again with the change from winter to spring. Some timbers are bowed out 3/4" in the middle of a 16' beam. Raising day could be way too interesting.

I'm in the process of ordering the remaining required timbers (from a different vendor!), and replacements for the SD timbers that are now unusable. I'm getting FOHC, #1btr, selected for appearance, S4S, kiln-dried timbers for significantly less money than I paid for the rough, ungraded, boxed-heart, bug-infested, green, SD timbers 18 months ago.

In my experience, though buying Standing Dead timbers is an environmentally attractive concept, the reality is that you spend a lot more money for a far-inferior product.

Re: Problems with Doug Fir Timbers [Re: jshaw] #11700 06/01/07 11:52 AM
T
Thomas-in-Kentucky Offline
T
jshaw,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and for the follow up post. Sounds like you had the best intentions in specifying standing dead timber. Just remember no good deed goes unpunished. smile

FWIW, 30 degrees twist does seem very extreme, but 3/4" of bow in 16' is not insurmountable. I had some oak posts with that much bow and was able to use them. depends on whether they will be held back in place within the frame by other timbers, after you convince them to be there with ratchet straps and come-alongs. You are right though, it makes for an interesting raising when some of your post bottoms have to be strapped down to the sill, because the top plate is crowned 1". smile And a standing seam metal roof will really tell-on-you if you use rafters and purlins with lots of crown. Slate roofs will hide a lot though.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users