Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 #11393 05/06/07 03:08 AM
M
Mark Davidson Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I may be travelling to BC in the fall of 2007, and would love a chance to work some western wood. If anyone can use an experienced framer and/or teacher, please let me know.... I would be travelling in September.

Re: Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 [Re: Mark Davidson] #11400 05/08/07 01:18 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Why, hello, sensei... smile
Like I've told many that have plans to travel though my province, you really should stop in this area.

Kootenay Lake = Timberframing capital.

Many companies to check out, from the one-two man shows to the big guys.

There's always a place for you to stay, and it's freakin' beautiful here, especially in the fall.

If you PM me I can give you the names of some companies and friends that may like to take you up on your offer.

I, personally, would love to learn from you...so, you see, I have ulterior motives at work here... whistle

So, if you don't mind timberframes every time you turn a corner, a chilled out lifestyle, old trucks, hippies, fresh water and air, places that stay closed on Sundays, organic food, music jams and bonfires on the beach, drop me a line...

Re: Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 [Re: Timber Goddess] #11474 05/14/07 06:54 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Kristina,

You've certainly got my attention.

Where in the world is Kootenay Lake. Nearest big town ?

Why is so much timber framing work taking place in this location.

Please include me on the list of TF companies to visit in this area.

I can do pickups, Sunday closing and a bit of TF Design and Engineering and I'm a Canadian P.Eng.

Which way to the beach, barbeque, beer n babes ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 [Re: Ken Hume] #11487 05/16/07 02:09 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
This is where Kootenay Lake is.

Kaslo is my town.

If you scroll out on the map, you will see that it's about 8hrs drive west of Calgary, and about 9hrs drive east of Vancouver, with the pedal to the metal. And if you choose hybrid, you can see the topography... lots of mountains...

I have some theories on why there's so much timberframing here:
During the 70's a lot of people moved to this area seeking refuge from the social norms of the day, and many sought to return to the land, so to speak.
Homesteading enjoyed a revival then and continues to this day.
People were building their own homes out of locally harvested timbers and they experimented with different styles. I think the timberframe made the most sense, and a lot of those sprung up, or reasonable facsimiles thereof.
And people liked them. And the word grew. And the wood is good and plentiful.
Almost all of the tfers and designers in the area have worked at Hamill Creek at some point...It's been around the longest.

These are some companies in the area. There are many smaller outfits working out of their homes or upon request.

The beach is right out the door, the BBQ is the fire pit in the yard, beer's in the fridge, and the babes....well, you'll have to figure that one out yourself, I'm afraid...

And we're always looking for designers.... wink

Re: Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 [Re: Timber Goddess] #11492 05/16/07 03:36 AM
mo Offline
smile Cool.

Re: Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 [Re: Mark Davidson] #11493 05/16/07 06:33 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi TFG,

That's just in the mountains behind Kelowna (that's Kelowna red or Kelowna white) my favorite weekend holiday spot when I lived in Calgary.

I look forward to reading Mark Davidson's report on his visit to this area or maybe I should make a fact finding trip myself. It would be great to see some pictures of some of the homes and TF structures that you describe.

This is obviously one of Canada's best kept secrets !

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Looking for wk in British Columbia fall 2007 [Re: Ken Hume] #11496 05/16/07 05:28 PM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Ya...
Don't tell anyone, ok?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users