Print Thread
Rate Thread
poplar/tuliptree #1159 12/05/04 09:17 PM
B
Bill Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello all,

I live in Kentucky and plan to build a frame from poplar trees on my propety and some imported from nearby farms. Alot of old frame houses in the area used poplar for stick frame walls and floor joist ect.

My question: is there any reason not to use poplar? It seems most of the timber frame co.'s offer white pine, doug fir or oak.

Also can anyone refer me to a T.F. engineer to help determine post and beem sizes?

Bill
Re: poplar/tuliptree #1160 12/06/04 01:38 AM
Joe Miller Offline
Yellow poplar was used in covered bridges in Indiana, Ohio (that I have observed) and reportedly elsewhere as well. Research on yellow poplar mortise and tenon joints was conducted at the University of Wyoming to fairly good results. So strength wise, it is suitable for a frame, and certainly it is easy enough to work. However, it dries REALLy fast, and usually results in heavy checking and winding timbers. Good end grain sealer will help, BUT, still expect some material degradation with drying. Also, good dark yellow heartwood is noticably more stable than the white sapwood.

The Timber Frame Joinery and Design Workbook (sold at the Guild on-line store) is a good place to start sizing posts and beams, if you are interested in doing it yourself. The Resource Guide has some engineers listed which should be able to help, especially if you need stamped documents.

Re: poplar/tuliptree #1161 12/06/04 05:12 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Bill,

Yellow Poplar was frequently used in north Georgia as well. We used it for bent girts and tie beams in my brother's house frame and it seems to show shrinkage comparable to oak, at least in that frame. I say go for it. You have access to it and it is a traditional choice in your area. I would try to use mostly heartwood, though, and be ready for some twisty, curvy pieces.

I agree that the Resource Guide is the place to look for engineers.

Good Luck,

Gabel

Re: poplar/tuliptree #1162 12/14/04 03:05 AM
B
Bob Smith Offline
B
One of the interesting things about poplar is its predilection for checking on one face. If you can determine which face that will be, you might hide as much of the checking as possible. Also, I understand the Japanese sometimes kerf a hidden face to direct the checking to that face. I must say that where I have seen poplar used, the principal check can be quite large. But, if none of that matters to you, use it.

Enjoy your frame, and enjoy the process.

Bob

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users