Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Any reason not to use Sycamore in a timber frame? #1171 12/11/04 12:05 PM
M
Mark B. Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The subject says it all I guess. Sycamore is readily available in the area and other than hearing from some locals that it doesnt handle getting wet repeatedly too well, I havent heard any major drawbacks for Sycamore structurally.

Thought this would be the definative place to ask. Thanks,
Mark

Re: Any reason not to use Sycamore in a timber frame? #1172 01/11/05 02:58 PM
B
BlortoTheWalrus Offline
B
I am not a carpenter or framer, but I have experience with sycamore as a whittler. For wood carving, sycamore is God-awful. Stubborn, surly, sullen and uncooperative. It is tough and fibrous and dulls the edge of any edged tool. But it does not make up for this with strength. On the contrary its refusal to bend gives the illusion of strength but then suddenly and without warning it splinters and collapses. It isn’t even good firewood. Looking for sycamores can help a camper find water since they love to grow with wet feet. But the venerable wisdom of 19th Century woodsmen was not to use wood that grows near streams. It won’t light, it won’t give off much heat if it does, it will hiss and spit and start a forest fire if it can, and the embers die quickly so they are no good for cooking (hickory they say is the best firewood). In sum, I respect the stately sycamores and leave them to spread their crooked arms over the waters while I go up the hill to look for better wood.

Blorto
Re: Any reason not to use Sycamore in a timber frame? #1173 01/11/05 08:18 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
check the index in your recently dowloaded wood handbook and you will find several sections on sycamore.

Re: Any reason not to use Sycamore in a timber frame? #1174 02/16/05 04:14 AM
Tom Cundiff Offline
I used sycamore for 2 peices of my shop frame as a test. The frame is now 10 years old.Both peices were cut from the same log,boxed heart, cut to 12'- 6x8 with a 2" 45 degree rip along the length.supported by an outside wall they have performed just fine. Sycamore grows tall in the river bottoms, blows and twists in the wind witch causes ring shake.the bigger the tree the more shake. The best use for sycamore is cutting boards as it will not absorb food odor, it's what they use at the fish market.clean the fish ,slice your onions, wash it off and slice the bread,bread dosn't taste like fish or onions.
Tom

Not all who wander are lost.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users