Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Vertical Siding over SIP w/o Nailer. #11754 06/08/07 12:34 AM
T
Tom Latcheran Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I am contemplating screwing 2x10" fir shiplap on SIP panels as a vertical siding for a timber frame. I am considering fastening the siding with screws directly into the SIP OSB panel without a nailing or furing strip to reduce the distance from the panel. Although a 1x nailer is conventionally used, I question whether it adds any strength to the siding structure since it itself is fastened to the SIP panel rather then to a bearing stud as in conventional structures. Has anyone tried this, and what has been your success rate if you have?

Thank you,

Tom
Re: Vertical Siding over SIP w/o Nailer. [Re: Tom Latcheran] #11757 06/08/07 01:55 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Tom,

the furring strips are not to improve the strength of the siding!!!!!!!!!
Rather they provide an airspace between the siding and the panels so that any water, be it rain(especially with shiplap siding or board and batten) or vapor from the house can run of behind it instead of being trapped between the two layers and cause rot.In your case I would recommend to install vertical strips and then horizontal to which you will nail the siding.If you only install horizontal strips you would create a space but the water cannot run of. That is why you need the vertical ones also. Of course that will bump the siding out a least 1.5 inches but it is a save installation for years to come.

Re: Vertical Siding over SIP w/o Nailer. [Re: E.H.Carpentry] #11763 06/08/07 02:16 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I agree

gabel

Re: Vertical Siding over SIP w/o Nailer. [Re: Tom Latcheran] #11765 06/08/07 02:52 AM
T
Tom Latcheran Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the comments. I have 4' eave and gable extensions that give reasonably good protection against rain fall off and house wrap over the panels. I am also at 7000' elevation in a relatively dry environment where winters are long. Thus rot conditions are not severe. I am also under the impression that vapor penetration through the SIP is limited by the nature of the structure. In addition, I have an air exchanger. But your points are well taken and appreciated.

Tom
Re: Vertical Siding over SIP w/o Nailer. [Re: Tom Latcheran] #11766 06/08/07 10:43 AM
E
E.H.Carpentry Offline
E
Tom,

you are right. The vapor transmission through the panels is small and a lot slower then with conventional framing but it is not nill!! Espsecially during the heating season when all windows and doors stay closed.
Air exchanger is good. 4' overhangs are very good also. But the bottom of the siding will still get rained on.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users