Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
woodcraft slicks??? #11989 06/27/07 01:15 AM
B
bloveland Offline OP
OP Offline
B
i am relatively green at timberframing and have recently started to build my arsenal of tools. I haven't sacrificed quality because of price until now. I just purchased a woodcraft slick because I am not a wealthy man and every penny counts(not enough pennies for a Barr)and was shocked at the "not at all flat" grinding job. I don't own another woodcraft chisel to mark its longevity against but i am curious if the bad grind is a sign of future problems. any advice would be appreciated.

Bloveland

Re: woodcraft slicks??? [Re: bloveland] #11990 06/27/07 04:14 AM
mo Offline
does it cut what you need it to? don't get overwhelmed with the details. if the slick works....nice. if it doesn't, sharpen it....that's all. my chisel has all kinds of grunge on it but it cuts cause its sharp.........

Re: woodcraft slicks??? [Re: mo] #11996 06/27/07 12:37 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Each newly made chisel/slick needs some attention to get it to an operational state. You may need to flatten the back side as well as improve the bevel with sharpening....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: woodcraft slicks??? [Re: Jim Rogers] #11998 06/27/07 02:19 PM
daiku Offline
I bought one (woodcraft) ten years ago as a newbie. Junk! Wouldn't stay sharp. Might not be the same model though. Check out some of the beauties Jim Rogers has for sale. That's where I get mine these days. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: woodcraft slicks??? [Re: daiku] #12001 06/27/07 06:55 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
I attended Jack Sobon and Dave Carlons workshop last fall, and there was somone there that had a new woodcraft slick. It was very poorly ground, but looked like it could be brought back into shape. How bad is yours? If you have access to a grinding stone, preferable a wet stone, you could bring it back into shape. The key is to keep it cool. If you see any blueing, your are too hot. A rule of thumb is to keep it cool enough to touch with plenty of water.

For anybody looking for hand tools, I would find an old tool dealer. They will be able to tell you what condition the tools are in, and will usually be much cheaper than new tools. I would rather spend $60-$75 for an antique framing chisel that is ready to go, and has the correct bevelling, than $120 for a new one that, in my opinion, is not correctly made.

As many people have mentioned, Jim Rogers sells old tools, and I have seen these tools. If it is offered as sharpened and ready to go, it will be. Dan Miller also has tools for sale. By looking around for used tools, you will be able to build a nice collection of antique tools (IMO better) for a reasonable sum of money.

Dave

Dave

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: woodcraft slicks??? [Re: Dave Shepard] #12004 06/27/07 11:41 PM
B
bloveland Offline OP
OP Offline
B
i am pretty sure that the slick can be lapped flat and that i will be able to use it, but i just wonder if i am waisting my time with a chisel that isn't worth it. it was only seventy-five bucks(Brand new) So maybe i got what i paid for. we will see.
thanks for the advice
Bloveland

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users