Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Panels vs Built-up roof #118 03/22/02 06:48 PM
J
jay dallamore Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have built post and beam homes and one Timber Frame and have a passion for these homes.I am about to begin building another Timger Frame home and would like to compare roof systems.The last Timber Frame I built a few years back,I used SIPS for the roof and they worked well and satisfied the local code[interior B.C. Canada]requiering R-40 for the roof.The Timberwrights I am considering for the job are suggesting a built-up
roof system and contend It is more cost effective and just as good for R value etc.I can only see the overhang being somewhat labor intensive using the panels having to add on and let-in to the panels etc.I would like to know what other builders/Timberwrghts systems may be,pros and cons etc.I would appreciate any information on this and other efficient Timber Frame construction methods.Please help with my research. confused jaydallamore@shaw.ca

Re: Panels vs Built-up roof #119 04/19/02 04:35 PM
T
terry turney Offline
T
I have used a one sided eps panel system almost exclusivly for 20+ years. 1 sheet osb laminated to 7 1/2" eps installed over 2x t&g. The few built up systems I have tried have been much more labor intensive. The built ups are also usally thicker and look boxier on the eaves. The bottom line may be the cost, if your timber framer says he will do a built up for less why argue?

Re: Panels vs Built-up roof #120 04/22/02 06:47 PM
G
Greg E Offline
G
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jay dallamore:
[QB]I have built post and beam homes and one Timber Frame and have a passion for these homes.I am about to begin building another Timger Frame home and would like to compare roof systems.The last Timber Frame I built a few years back,I used SIPS for the roof and they worked well and satisfied the local code[interior B.C. Canada]requiering R-40 for the roof.The Timberwrights I

My major concern with roof SIPs would be making sure they are installed correctly, and the home design itself is sufficient for controlling moisture build up.

Once SIPs get wet, they stay wet, sometime with devastating and expensive results. This may be old news to you but here's an article about what can go wrong, in a particularly wet climate like Juneau AK.

http://www.jlc-update.com/archive/12_01/panel_roof.html

Greg

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users