Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Tsunami #1201 12/31/04 03:02 AM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Watching news of the tsunami devastation in Asia it occurs that some historic structures must have been damaged. Perhaps there would be something the guild can do to become involved in with reconstruction. Not right now (I think we would just be in the way) but in the near future
Thoughts? Info?

Re: Tsunami #1202 01/07/05 11:08 PM
Will Truax Offline
When I first saw this post, I thought… The rebuilding will be measured in years and historic replication and restoration, should and will be on the very bottom of the list of what needs be done. Housing is the real need and a recovery in their local economy, and how can we help in that ?

Then, hours and hours after I clicked off and powered down. It suddenly occurred to me that there is no reason why we should or could not. If we only step just outside the box and a design for a house frame is come to, that is small in two ways, by western standards and also small in timber section, at least in how our collective and preconceived minds eye sees it, yet is still big enough to support simple joinery, bevel laps and daps and cogs and clasps. Say 17 X 21 with the largest timber section being maybe 6 X 7, complete with window and door wells with which to fasten traditional local, or donated enclosure materials. A home for the masses which in time can be added to

The modular nature of what we do and the very availability of the material we use and the simple tooling that can be used in the doing is how we can help.

These small precut frames could be shipped from afar and raised in hours with little or no skilled help. Donated pieces of white pine could stand with loblolly or beech or doug fir or come to stand next to English oak at first and then ultimately mix with the teaks and the other indigenous woods of the effected areas. The hundred Hundegger cut pieces could stand side by side with the smaller donations of dozens of two and three man shops, and after teams of instructors go to teach local folk to cut this same house frame again and again and help create the housing they so desperately need… Perhaps all this, with the help of band mills and other materials we can help secure the donation of.

I know this is beyond the scope of our mission, but I also know we are a united and capable group and there are many among us are prone to
fits of fancy and giving.

And nothing says we have to go it alone, we could join hands with likeminded others and together reach out -

http://www.shelter.org

http://www.eeri.org home page of the link below

http://www.world-housing.net/countrylist.asp see Indonesia and others, the 2nd and 3rd worlds, desperatly need housing which will stand up to seismic activity – See also the small grants link

We have it in us, in that kernel of imagination that is what we are, and know and choose to do, to do so much more than just reach for the checkbook

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1203 01/07/05 11:29 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
Will, I wish you would write more, I really enjoy reading your posts...
If you would put your design on paper, then post on the web, I would join the line-up to cut some of the pieces for it...maybe use some eastern white cedar, which would be light to ship.
I don't see why a few of us couldn't cut a few timbers and then send them to a central spot somewhere to be test raised and then send them it on to somewhere it would be needed.....

Re: Tsunami #1204 01/08/05 04:53 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Gentlemen;
Let us continue outside the box. Concept - woodmizer portable mill and a crew of TF folks working in concert with existing on the ground relief agencies in South Asia.This part of the world still has lots of standing forests, a lot closer than anyplace in North America. Now to find a sponsor to pay the board and transport bill.
Next ?

Re: Tsunami #1205 01/09/05 02:50 PM
Will Truax Offline
Mark –

Thanks for the compliment, I try. As you have guessed, I have worked up such a design and have enlisted help in autocading up a digitized set, from there an FEA, then hopefully a seismic analysis, then it’s how to get the ball rolling.

Emmet –

Two things, It seems much could be done “out of the way” the needs there are much more basic and will be for months. If people are seen to reach out with not just money, but their time and their ideas, I believe it would be recognized and bring that sponsorship you speak of.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Tsunami #1206 01/09/05 06:31 PM
J
John Buday Offline OP
OP Offline
J
First let me say this...

You guys are too cool

I think that Will has some excellent ideas. My thought was not that we could provide housing but this sounds entirely reasonable and doable.
Any plan for providing shelter in the immediate future must keep in mind that these areas have little to no infrastructure remaining.
It should be noted that the island of Sumatra suffered from both the tsunami and the quake that spawned it

In looking thru the information on the World Shelter web site (nice link Will). It seems that the most common indigenous building technologies in the region use masonry walls and timber trusses.
By “region” I am referring to Indonesia, India and other countries in the area. The walls are variously supporting, non-supporting but providing shear, or a recent innovation in India, masonry enclosure to a self-supporting and braced timber frame.
The last seems to me the model that would allow for local enclosure systems while not precluding the use of panels or other donated enclosure. It would also provide opportunity to introduce a seismically resistant building type. The idea being that perhaps this would provide a seed that would result in a more common practice after we leave.
If the building were to be enclosed by masonry would we want to make accommodation in the timber details?
For helping hands and a contact with the military (who have the transportation and equipage) perhaps we should engage Grigg Mullin

Will, I would curious to see that CAD file

Re: Tsunami #1207 01/09/05 10:28 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
re transport to South Asia.
Unfortunately there is no flag in the member directory to identify retired military.
Am I the one and only in the guild ?
We enjoy free air transport the world over on a space available basis. After the initial max load of "relief" supplies there will probably be space available. Any "relief" supplies (like a trailer mounted bandsaw) could probably be negotiated with the USAF.
Next idea ?

Re: Tsunami #1208 01/09/05 10:41 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Part III thinking out loud.

The media has highlighted Germany as a major contributor to SE Asis relief especially in light of the significant German population in that part of the world. My guess is that Dietrichs would supply working drawings of the final design is asked (I have not contacted them yet)
If it has not happened already where in that mix are the German tool manufacturers ? hmmmmmmmm

Re: Tsunami #1209 01/09/05 10:50 PM
C
Cole Offline
C
Hi all,

This may not be of relavance but it occured to me that there would be a need for clean up and site prep prior to installation of these prefabed buildings. Anyone with experience in excavation could ba a help here. Just a thought.

Great ideas everyone!
~Cole

Re: Tsunami #1210 01/10/05 01:23 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
part IV thinking out loud. Further review of the disaster media blitz shows also significant Japanese contributions. Japanese tools anyone ?
Japanese timberframers too.
It seems to me we need three basic things.
An easily replicated frame design with positive seismic characteristics.
Commitments from folks and tool/stuctural material vendors. (do we build slab on grade in an active seismic zone ?)
A single POC to handle governmental interface and contacts with relief organizations.

And the next step is ??

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users